The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
88k5jimmy

Step bed hinged and raised bed floor pic request (strut request)

I've searched multiple times and haven't quite found what I'm looking for. I am envisioning a raised hinged bed floor that is full length for the bed to hide all the suspension components and can be opened up. I am trying not to attach a square tube structure to the bed sides because I can't weld (sheetmetal) but have thought about making a raised bed floor frame that bolts to the bed strip bolts and slightly narrower than the bed width. Then making the hinged portion and attaching the bed wood to the hinged frame.

Does anybody have pictures of something similar to use for an example/inspiration?

Thanks

Last edited by 88k5jimmy; 05-01-2017 at 11:34 PM.
88k5jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
forestb

Re: Step bed hinged and raised bed floor pic request

I have thought about doing something similar for storage. I was thinking I could some how use the bolts that hold the fenders on to hold up the floor. If you create something like this you will need to be aware of hitting those same bolts.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #3
88k5jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I have thought about doing something similar for storage. I was thinking I could some how use the bolts that hold the fenders on to hold up the floor. If you create something like this you will need to be aware of hitting those same bolts.
Yep, that's why I was wanting to make the raised frame narrower than the inside of the bed so I would be away from those bolt heads but with the hinged part open, it should clear all the bolts.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:21 PM   #4
88k5jimmy

Wanting to see how you guys calculated what force and mounting locations for your hinged bed floor. See pic below of my current hinged bed floor setup. I want the bed floor to raise to approximately a 20 degree angle. I would prefer to mount the struts in the configuration shown just to add a little lateral stability, however does that mean I would have to mount the strut to the center of the bed floor? I've tried a lot of online calculators but none of them except one mounts in the configuration I would like. The one place that performed the calc for me is in the UK and I have to pay before I can even see if the mounting configuration is what I like.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #5
88k5jimmy

I got the wood cut, a couple gas struts and a bunch of mounting hardware and decided to give it a shot. This what I've got so far. The gas struts are rated at 50lb force each. I took an old cotton scale and held the tilt portion of the bed up at the desired angle and took a reading. It said 80lbs so I figured 100lbs total should lift it up. When the floor is closed the gas struts are horizontal.

When I try to open, its very hard and no assistance is provided by the struts. Once the floor gets going vertically, the struts take over and help raise the floor to the extended length. I'm wondering if I need to mount the struts at an angle when it is closed in order for the struts to assist in lifting from the very beginning? Maybe I need a higher rated force strut?

Old 05-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #6
forestb

can't wait to see it closed with all the wood on it. What size tire are you running in the rear
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote