The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2017, 12:51 AM   #1
dtkarst

Hate to bother everyone again...

I posted a few days ago about a big block 72 3/4 ton C20 and i accidentally put it in the suburbans thread but it got moved and got limited responses. So I'm sorry if i irritate anyone for posting this one to get your alls expert opinions. here it is:

1972 C20 Factory 402 Big Block, 400 auto, tilt, AC, PS, PB.

Ive let 2 half tons with these options get away and i told myself i wouldn't let another get away if it was reasonable. Well here we are today looking at a 3/4ton. Said to have 90K original miles from the original owners family. It'll run while dumping fuel down the carb, which means it will likely need a carb kit which is no big deal. But it is very rusty as you will see in pictures...Needs full floor pan or at least could be easier to do it, and rockers, corners etc. Bed has some rot in it as well, and i sure the front clip does too. But here is my question. It can be bought for 1800 bucks and Id go get it. I would probably keep it around as a fun cruiser if it runs right, and then maybe use th motor and tranny for a (hopeful) 72 shortbed like in the movie Dazed and Confused. But is it worth the 7hour round trip and 1800 bucks to own it? Im pretty new to these recently and you guys are the experts so thats why I'm Leaning on you guys. trying to to annoy anyone with questions on it, just could use some help. thanks
Attached Images

dtkarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:53 AM   #2
dtkarst

Re: Hate to bother everyone again...

Few more...
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2017, 01:20 AM   #3
mikecaddy500

Wink Re: Hate to bother everyone again...

Needs work, but could be a nice truck. I paid 900 for mine(no big block or air) looks like a fun adventure and is probably worth what hes asking. Go for it.
mikecaddy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:33 AM   #4
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

It's your money and time. Be prepared to spend lots of both to bring it to a drivable safe state. Coley here on the forum had the best advice for me. Be patient and find a good solid truck and pay more for it, than buy one that needs too much work. Anyone who has restored a car or tuck will tell you its better financially to buy one done and enjoy it right away than repair/build one. The few that can do everything themselves is a rare breed. Most that do a restoration either give up frustrated after bleeding money for months or years or have twice or 3 times the money that its worth in it.

In my experience I restored/had restored a 71 Chevelle convertible over 3 years. I paid 2-1/2 times the money for that education. I enjoyed the process and met a lot of good people with that build.
1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:31 AM   #5
jessemthompson

That truck has a lot of cancer. I would wait for something else. It's better to spend more up front and spend less on the back end. If you want a 72 short bed, wait for one and save your money. Even if you don't find a factory big block, you can always find a big block to put in it. This truck needs a lot of work. I've seen trucks in better shape being parted out.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
Grumpy old man

A lot of guys go out and buy a long bed 20 because it's cheap when they really wanted a short bed 10 ...Big difference .offer $1,500.00 cash and use it as a parts truck you can pull the engine ,A/C etc and part the rest of it out to get all your money back ...sweat equity ....
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
demian5

It looks like so much work, but man, opening that hood and seeing a big block is a hallelujah movement...
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
LongBox

Just want to second what Grumpy old man says. The parts to make a great big block half-ton are there, but the truck itself is too far gone to be economically viable as a restoration project.

I'm most definitely in the camp that says pay more up front, cause it's cheaper over the long haul.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #9
kwmech

The price is fair for the truck and the big block status. I'd look for another cab with a lot less issues. Definitely a project
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #10
midniteblues

I don't think that cab is too bad from what I can see.
As long as the rust isn't in the inner cowl,firewall,ceiling and roof.
A floor pan, rockers and cab corners is pretty much standard repairs around here.

Now idk if floor pans come with the front and rear cab supports or not but even so.

Now let's look at the rest of the truck, the doors, bed sides, bed floor,core support, inner fenders.

To replace all that really adds up too the total cost. But if most of it is useable then your already ahead of the game.

Nothing wrong with a 20 in today's world.
But those options added on to a shortie and turned into the dazed and confused truck would be outa this world.

Perhaps a good solid rolling shorty and use what you got.

I'm a cheap ass so I would ALLWAYS start low and go from there.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #11
knomadd

If I was in your shoes again, I'd save my money and move on. It's not really what you want, and it will take a TON of time and effort, and lots of money, to get it to where you'd be happy with it. You'll be better off in the long run to find something in better shape and pay a little more.

If you're wanting a long project to do a LOT of metal replacement and patching to, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd say it's only good for the big block. Offer $1,000 if you hear it run, pull the engine and part the rest.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #12
franken

You're looking for a shortbed so why even bother with this truck? Not annoyed in the least since the pics were nice. Every 67-72 out there has or had rotted rocker and cab corners so no big thing there.
An SB will always be a half ton naturally so C20 and C30 should be ignored if you want a C10.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:48 AM   #13
dtkarst

Thank you for the replies! THeyve been helpful..to clarify, i would drive this thing for awhile and use it on the farm to keep it limber until I had the time to start a shorted project. mainly just buying for the neat transportation for awhile then make something out of the drive train. Id like to stay at the 1500 dollar range but who knows..a lot changes when cash is in sight. I shouldve posted a picture if some don't know the pickup from Dazed and Confused. Always loved this thing
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #14
Ken B

Its odd how the rest of the truck really isn't rusty but the floors and rockers are. Water was obviously getting in that cab from somewhere. I don't think its too bad a deal if you can do the work yourself or you have someone that knows what they are doing help you. Under the hood looks super clean and it looks like it was maintained in that respect.... Air conditioning is nice if you can get it up and going. I love to see the long bed trucks saved....
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #15
harpo231

Looks like an eastcoast beach truck,
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #16
Mr Handy

If the roof is solid around the a pillars and the windshield I say she will fix up fine. And for 1800 if the engine and trans are solid they are worth the asking.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote