The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
Putter
More Cowbell....

Pivotless brake booster??

I found this on E-bay a few minutes ago. It's just instructions, not the kit, but it got me thinking. Anybody know any Pros/Cons on trying a conversion like this versus a normal setup for our year ranges? Also, has anyone done it already? If so, you got any instructions/suggestions? I just want to know both sides of the story.....stock type with pivot or this route. As long as I can stop better, it's not a big issue either way. Thanks in advance for your vast wealth of knowledge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33566
Old 04-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #2
zeeklu

Question

ttt
zeeklu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:24 PM   #3
1972C10
Account Suspended

I Put one of them on my 72 once you have to drill two new holes for the top mounting and make a short spacer to go from brake pedal to the rod i made mine out of flat bar and it will not work with auto colum shift it will hit the booster

Its worth it if you have a floorshift auto or standard but as far as i know you cant make the newer style work with the colum shift auto

If you want to know more about how i did it dont buy that kit just Pm me
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:33 PM   #4
sierrasports
BANNED

?
sierrasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 08:11 AM   #5
Low69CST

I just ordered one from ABS in California, received it, but haven't installed it yet. It should be direct bolt on, have 9" booster and has aluminum mastercylinder. It has no pivot, just one rod and it is light as a feather. I seriously thought they sent an empty box before I opened it.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:51 AM   #6
Putter
More Cowbell....

I appreciate the info. I was planning to go with an auto column, so maybe that booster setup is out for the moment.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally posted by Low69CST
I just ordered one from ABS in California, received it, but haven't installed it yet. It should be direct bolt on, have 9" booster and has aluminum mastercylinder. It has no pivot, just one rod and it is light as a feather. I seriously thought they sent an empty box before I opened it.
Can you post pics of the new booster and the price you got it for. Also, what is the meaning behind "no pivot"?

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:21 AM   #8
Putter
More Cowbell....

By pivot, I mean that the rod from inside the truck (from pedal) doesn't go directly into the back of the booster, like the newer ones do. It goes to a leaver (pivot) that, in-turn, moves a different rod that actually goes into the booster. I personally have no idea why, but here is a picture of one with the pivot. It has a bracket that holds the booster off the firewall a few inches. I am just trying to get away from that bracket for cosmetic reasons only.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2004, 05:49 PM   #9
john
member #16

Here is a pic low69cst posted.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=low69cst
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 07:52 PM   #10
Low69CST

I think the pivot was created because powerbrakes was an afterthought on these trucks. The boosters were so big that it put them on top of the auto shifter and valve covers of big blocks. So, the pivot moves the booster up and out of the way of this stuff. Its the only reason I can think of. But it does look ugly, be glad to get it out of my truck!
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:54 AM   #11
Putter
More Cowbell....

I agree on the ugly factor. I want two things....I want power brakes, but I want it to look good too. Hmmmm, which to choose?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:33 PM   #12
bigskiohio

I used booster of of 1980 pickup no pivot point on that . Did small blocks have pivot?
bigskiohio is offline   Reply With Quote