The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
Smniekamp

Rusty Rides

I thought it would be fun to see your rusty rides, the ones with roached rockers, flopping fenders, and crusty cab corners... My only requirement is that they have to be drivers. There are plenty of rusted out square bodies sitting in backyards on blocks, but I want to see some that are still on the road, despite all the cancer we despise so much!
Smniekamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

Re: Rusty Rides

Oh man, I can fill this thread with some pics! I'll post some up of my '78 when I get a chance.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
abig84

pretty much everything i owned in my 20s was a mess.

1985 s10 blazer, thankfully the frame bends under the driversfloor it was the only thing that held the vinyl carpet in place

body mounts fell out years ago. truck just did a lot of sitting, ran great, eventually gave it to someone who drove it for a year til the motor blew up

i can add more to this thread later when i get on my home computer
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
abig84

heres some more junk ive owned over the years

another s10 split in half

82 suburban i got for $200 without the lift and tires.

floors were all gone too, got about 2 years of offroading out of it before the body came so messed up the doors wouldnt close anymore, ended up welding the rear doors closed in its last few months

84 k5 blazer, floor was gone to the trans hump on the driver side you can also see one of the bars welded in to keep the floor attached to the wall

passenger side wasnt much better. heres me as kid trying to make some kinda floor with random parts and no welder

actually owned that one for like 4 years, had braces and stuff welded all over to hold it together.

all of the above were just off road trucks so never seen highway and other then the drive to the local pits not much street time. but it started to get old having to trade up trucks every year. last one i went down south and got, had it about 8 years up north and the cab corners just started getting holy
Old 05-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #5
Smniekamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears63 View Post
Oh man, I can fill this thread with some pics! I'll post some up of my '78 when I get a chance.
Please do! I think its fun to see the rougher trucks on the road still...mine included haha.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
Smniekamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
heres some more junk ive owned over the years

actually owned that one for like 4 years, had braces and stuff welded all over to hold it together.

all of the above were just off road trucks so never seen highway and other then the drive to the local pits not much street time. but it started to get old having to trade up trucks every year. last one i went down south and got, had it about 8 years up north and the cab corners just started getting holy
Wow! That suburban is still pretty sweet, I like the lift and tires on it now. Not a bad deal for $200 bucks, even with the rust.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:34 AM   #7
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

I took this picture tonight, it's of the left floor with just the floor mats lifted up. If I pull the original mat up it is much worse. Keep in mind that Beatrice (full pic at bottom) is my daily driver.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #8
Muskie

Great topic. There are a lot of us who keep these trucks running on a shoestring budget, regular maintenance, binder twine and duct tape.
This is my 76 K20. It has been my daily driver, plow truck and bush truck for three years, and enjoyed every minute. This truck has been owned locally by friends for the past 30 years, so well acquainted with it.

The box was so rusted had to replace it.
Muskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
Jstock85

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
pretty much everything i owned in my 20s was a mess.

1985 s10 blazer, thankfully the frame bends under the driversfloor it was the only thing that held the vinyl carpet in place

body mounts fell out years ago. truck just did a lot of sitting, ran great, eventually gave it to someone who drove it for a year til the motor blew up

i can add more to this thread later when i get on my home computer
Man I love those S10s. I have a '91 I plan to restore for my son to drive when his time comes
Jstock85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smniekamp View Post
Wow! That suburban is still pretty sweet, I like the lift and tires on it now. Not a bad deal for $200 bucks, even with the rust.
yeah it was pretty awesome for the two years i had it. it came with a 1973 400ci engine in it which im still using to this day in my 86 k30. but the body just got too jacked up after it being offroaded a lot, also the size on tight trails kinda sucked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstock85 View Post
Man I love those S10s. I have a '91 I plan to restore for my son to drive when his time comes
my current off road truck is a 93 s10 with k5 running gear, love it. had it about 10 years and always starts and drives. it had a little bit of rust but had floors so i was sold! i always had a love/hate relationship with s10s. they been very reliable but always a pain to work on
Old 05-12-2017, 10:25 PM   #11
100%Chevy

Old hood I just recently replaced.It was too loose to run on the interstate!The screws held it for a long time!

New hood.

Replaced the tailgate a while back.The hinge area rusted out to the point it wouldn't stay on the truck!

Here it is with a trailer towing another truck home.

I've used this truck everyday for about 14 years now.It's a 250 I/6 with power steering and factory a/c!Still use the shifter on the column for the 3 speed trans.Needs new doors now.The rust is about to make the skins fall off!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #12
abig84

now thats interesting ^

on all my rusty junks and everyone elses i seen its always the hood that remains in the best shape. my 52 when i bought it the brace under the hood was rotted out and someone put on like the old jeep hood hold downs but the hood itself looks great
Old 05-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #13
Smniekamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears63 View Post
I took this picture tonight, it's of the left floor with just the floor mats lifted up. If I pull the original mat up it is much worse. Keep in mind that Beatrice (full pic at bottom) is my daily driver.
I like that truck man, glad you're keeping it on the road!