The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2004, 01:31 AM   #26
toytruck
5-7 dropped 87 CC Dually

Richin that carb up if you can intill you get pipes. What do your plugs look like? White, tan, brown or black? Try to get it brown to black intill you get some exhust.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:34 AM   #27
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

they were very dark tan last i checked
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:34 AM   #28
Destructo

Quote:
Originally posted by ocbaud
i gotta get it running good enough before i can go the the exhaust shop and get the pipes welded up.

so, the run on is probably from my fans, because they are hooked up to the ignition on the fuse box
Yep, thats it. I would re-wire them using a relay, you can get automotive relays from radioshack for about 5 bucks and it will be much safer, your pulling too much voltage off your fuse block running fans off of it. You can power the switch for the relay off the fuse block, but run power straight from the battery to the relay for your fan juice and put a fuse in that line also.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab 2wd 4-banger, 5 speed, Street Pack with 3.73 axle.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:37 AM   #29
toytruck
5-7 dropped 87 CC Dually

Very dark tan is good.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:38 AM   #30
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally posted by Destructo

Yep, thats it. I would re-wire them using a relay, you can get automotive relays from radioshack for about 5 bucks and it will be much safer, your pulling too much voltage off your fuse block running fans off of it. You can power the switch for the relay off the fuse block, but run power straight from the battery to the relay for your fan juice and put a fuse in that line also.
can you find me a diagram of how how it should be wired up correctly? also, what exact relay would i need?
Old 04-08-2004, 02:10 AM   #31
toytruck
5-7 dropped 87 CC Dually

Your dist. set up all wrong form the factory( two heavy silver springs and a red bushing=28 degrees all in at 4000) I just checked out msd website. Change springs to 1 silver(lt) and 1 blue(lt) And change the Bushing to a silver one. This will give you 25 degrees total in the dist all in by 3000rpms. Set timing on the balencer at 11 degrees for a total of 36.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:37 AM   #32
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

i set it the night i got it
Old 04-08-2004, 08:55 AM   #33
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally posted by Destructo

so, get about a 25a relay?

how would i wire it up after that?
Old 04-08-2004, 04:00 PM   #34
NeCrOmAnCeR

Heavy wire (10 Ga at least) to battery, through a fuse, to the switched contacts on the relay. Another heavy wire from the other switched contact of the relay to the fan(s). Run a small wire (18 Ga is fine) from a ignition source on the fuse box to your fan switch (or temp switch) then from the switch to the switching contacts on the relayrelay (again 18 Ga). Take another wire from the other switching contacts on the relay and ground it. When the ignition is on, you have power to the switch/relay so it can close (when you choose (switch) or when it needs to (temp switch)). When energized the contacts will close and turn on the fans. When you turn off the ignition the relay opens preventing back voltage from keeping the MSD box turned on. You may also want to put a clamping diode across the switching leads of the relay (if it is not done internally) to prevent any large voltage spikes from being sent back to the ignition terminal.
NeCrOmAnCeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:55 PM   #35
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally posted by toytruck
OPEN HEADERS! Shorty open headers no less, You can't do that. Hope you didn't burn a exhust valve.
He didn't. He would have to run no exaust at all to do that. Theres no revision of cold air going up the header primarys and contacting a valve.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 06:22 PM   #36
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

okay, i got it to idle pretty good i think. but i tried to rev it up a little(maybe 3grand) and when i let off, it wanted to die unless i kept my foot on the gas a little