The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
sean199626

Changing transmission...now won't start.

My TH350 in my 1969 Chevrolet C10 is giving up the ghost so I am electing to put a new TH400 in. Today I began preparing to drop the transmission by undoing the bell housing bolt one of which held the dipstick another held some wires out of the way of moving parts. The clip that held the wires did not appear to be a ground. I loosened the cross member bolts. Disconnected the kickdown cable. Disconnected the speedometer cable. Disconnect the driveshaft from the rear end and carrier bearing mount. Left the yoke in the transmission til I get a cap. Disconnected the shift linkage. Disconnected the vacuum line. Took the flexplate cover off and removed a torque converter bolt. It was at this point that I attempted to crank the engine over in order to get access to the other torque converter bolts. However nothing happened. Didn't ever crank over. The battery still has juice. That clip that I mentioned earlier that held wires, I had reconnected that to the bell housing and still nothing. Does anyone know what is going on?
sean199626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:59 PM   #2
sean199626

Re: Changing transmission...now won't start.

That was it. I didn't know a truck that old had a safety mechanism like that. I used a pair of pliers to put the transmission into park, but the actual switch in the steering column was registering neutral. Many thanks.
sean199626 is offline   Reply With Quote