The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
Desert1957

Re: 1952 Project 1433

Any Updates? Did you get it running?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
NeoJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
Any Updates? Did you get it running?
No yet, I've been working on my rear brake setup and getting brake lines run. Once that's complete then I can get it back down on the ground and then get it back together. Just seems like a million little things to button up to get it on the road LOL. Also life has been busy and I haven't done much work on the truck lately. I want to work on it and it kills me to just stare at it in the garage every day
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
lower50's

Just read your build. Very nice clean truck you have!! I did not know Pine sol worked so well for cleaning a carb, I will use that next time. Also I like your cup cake tray idea for keeping all the bolts separate. Keep up the good work, it will be purring in no time now.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
NeoJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
Just read your build. Very nice clean truck you have!! I did not know Pine sol worked so well for cleaning a carb, I will use that next time. Also I like your cup cake tray idea for keeping all the bolts separate. Keep up the good work, it will be purring in no time now.
Thank you for the comments on the truck. Its slowly coming along. I didnt know about the pine sol trick either. I was googling and youtubeing other alternatives to hard chemicals and that I could easily source locally. I tried sourcing the other carb cleaners and I just couldnt find anything.

I just went to the local grocery store and got some ORIGINAL pine sol (it has to be original) and went to the dollar store to pickup a big bucket and let it all soak. The first bucket picture was swapped out for a medium sized tupper ware container from the dollar store that I could completely submerge all the parts in. This required a little more pine sol to submerge everything.

I used an old cupcake tray because it helped me organize all my parts and working out pretty good. Just be sure you ask the wife first LOL.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
NeoJuice

Here is a little update. After doing a tone of research and cruising a lot of Trans Am, Camaro & Gm related sites and talking with a lot of people I was able to finally figure out my rear disc brake issue.

The main issue was trying to find the correct parts. I was able to source the Trans Am rotors no problem from my local Bumper to bumper store. I then ordered in the rear Trans Am calipers from my local NAPA location which took a couple weeks(hard to find and source). Once those came in I was disappointed because they didn’t come with all the parking brake parts I needed which they said they did.

So those went back and I found a little hint on the speedway motors site that sells the emergency brake calipers. It also helped to read through the reviews and Q&A section. Jackpot!!!

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Emerge...pers,1968.html

People were using the replacement calipers for the Trans AM/10bolt rear ends and it came with all the hardware. As you can see in the description they are 1979-1985 Cadillac Seville calipers. So I looked up 1980 Seville rear calipers on the Napa website and they had all the needed hardware. Then more research was required as well to make sure they would fit. This is before I found the chart below.

After taking the plunge and ordering in the calipers (which they had in stock) I got some rear TA brake pads and went to assemble everything. After getting everything assembled I fell into another problem. Well it wasn’t really a problem, but on the driver’s side the routing of the parking brake was going to be a problem because it pointed toward the rear of the truck and not the front like the passenger side. So, more research again was required or maybe I would need different calipers I thought.

So, I started looking up the drum to disc conversion kits and some of the kits are the same staggered setup and require different routing of the drivers side parking brake cable as mine would be. Towards the back then routed to the front. I didn’t really want it to be this way because I want to use the original in cab parking brake pedal and original linkage. So having them both pointing toward the front lines them both up to connect to the side bracket then connect to the exterior cross shaft perfectly.

And I also found this great chart someone made up of all the GM rear end caliper usage options. So hopefully this might help someone else out.

Then I came across a couple articles of guys who just rotated the bracket on the drivers side to make them both rear facing calipers. This would then rotate the parking brake in the proper direction which I wanted. This would also make it correct as shown in the chart for the 80 seville which are both rear facing calipers which I guess I kind of lucked out on.

So after removing the drivers side rear bracket and rotating it everything fit just fine. So I reattached the bracket and re-drilled two of the holes that didn’t line up from behind and it was all done. Also a nice thing was I didn’t need to pull the axel to do it either

Onto the pictures of the completed setup. Now I just need to run my brake lines and get my parking brake cables sourced.

Rear before everything

Rear After

Passenger Rear

Old 06-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
jkeating1

That's great information, and a good looking installation!

I guess the bleeder still points the right way (up)? It looks right in the picture.
jkeating1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:03 AM   #7
NeoJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeating1 View Post
That's great information, and a good looking installation!

I guess the bleeder still points the right way (up)? It looks right in the picture.
Yes the drivers side and passenger side both point up like in the picture. So it all worked out. Now I just have to adjust the parking brake then hook up my break lines. i hope the information I found will maybe help other people out.