The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
rockyrivermark

LMC lower body molding clips??

I purchased the lower body moldings with clips from LMC recently. The set comes with no instructions and my truck never had lower body molding
See attached pick of clip, nut, some plastic piece with 2 faced tape on it.
Questions
1. How do these clips and plastic piece arrach? Any tips or tricks to make for an easier install?
2. Can someone give me hole locations? I know you can slide these clips but I don't even know how many clips per section. Measuments would be great.
Thanks mark
Posted via Mobile Device
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
rockyrivermark

Hopefully picture attached this time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
jocko

Re: LMC lower body molding clips??

The LMC catalog provides the key for which clips to use and where. Pasted in below, see the little triangles, squares, and circles and ABCD, etc to see which type goes where. The ones with the stud (C) go where you should should drill a factory mounting hole location and the individual screws (D) simply go thru the trim itself (and you'll need to drill there too). The stickyback ones go with the sticky side to the body of course, but I'd recommend snapping them into the back of the molding carefully and then pressing them into place once you drill your end mounting locations - that way they'll be in place - if you stick em on the body first, the odds are that one will be misaligned, and you'll perhaps mutter a few choice words at that point. Recommend drilling only the clip "C" holes first, then placing the adhesive ones on position on the trim as mentioned, then mounting - THEN drill for the D screws - thru the hole visible in the trim itself. I will see if I can find the factory hole locations - or hopefully someone will beat me to it - it's in that friggin Assembly Manual I think! ALSO, before I forget it - the LMC sticky back tape isn't the greatest (in my experience). Once I gave up on that approach, I scraped the LMC sticky stuff and used 3M adhesive trim tape - this was Scott's recommendation (Ledzepp) and it was a good one.
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 05-07-2017 at 09:26 PM.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #4
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
The LMC catalog provides the key for which clips to use and where. Pasted in below, see the little triangles, squares, and circles and ABCD, etc to see which type goes where. The ones with the stud (C) go where you should should drill a factory mounting hole location and the individual screws (D) simply go thru the trim itself (and you'll need to drill there too). The stickyback ones go witht he stick side to the body of course, but I'd recommend snapping them into the back of the molding carefully and then pressing them into place once you drill your end mounting locations - that way they'll be in place - if you stick em on the body first, the odds are that one will be misaligned, and you'll perhaps mutter a few choice words at that point. Recommend drilling only the clip "C" holes first, then placing the adhesive ones on position on the trim as mentioned, then mounting - THEN drill for the D screws - thru the hole visible in the trim itself. I will see if I can find the factory hole locations - or hopefully someone will beat me to it - it's in that friggin Assembly Manual I think! ALSO, before I forget it - the LMC sticky back tape isn't the greatest (in my experience). Once I gave up on that approach, I scraped the LMC sticky stuff and used 3M adhesive trim tape - this was Scott's recommendation (Ledzepp) and it was a good one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
rockyrivermark

Cool. Thanks. I should have check LmC website. Yeah that 3m VHB tape is crazy. I'm a cabinet maker and often use to
Adhere stainless corners to Laminate cabinets.
So when I tighten the nut does that spin the clip and lock it into the top and bottom lip of the trim?

Quote:
The LMC catalog provides the key for which clips to use and where. Pasted in below, see the little triangles, squares, and circles and ABCD, etc to see which type goes where. The ones with the stud (C) go where you should should drill a factory mounting hole location and the individual screws (D) simply go thru the trim itself (and you'll need to drill there too). The stickyback ones go witht he stick side to the body of course, but I'd recommend snapping them into the back of the molding carefully and then pressing them into place once you drill your end mounting locations - that way they'll be in place - if you stick em on the body first, the odds are that one will be misaligned, and you'll perhaps mutter a few choice words at that point. Recommend drilling only the clip "C" holes first, then placing the adhesive ones on position on the trim as mentioned, then mounting - THEN drill for the D screws - thru the hole visible in the trim itself. I will see if I can find the factory hole locations - or hopefully someone will beat me to it - it's in that friggin Assembly Manual I think! ALSO, before I forget it - the LMC sticky back tape isn't the greatest (in my experience). Once I gave up on that approach, I scraped the LMC sticky stuff and used 3M adhesive trim tape - this was Scott's recommendation (Ledzepp) and it was a good one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
jocko

Did you buy upper trim also?
Old 05-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #7
jocko

No, for clip types A and C, you rotate the ends into the lip on the back of the trim, then snap the little spring loaded doo-hickey into that same groove/lip/channel so that it won't rotate (all before you mount it), then just stick it into the hole you drilled. Also, I meant to say you have to drill for A AND C clips first, not just C. Those are "blind" holes - i.e. you can't drill them once the trim is mounted. The stud will end up roughly centered between upper and lower edge of the trim. As for the associated nuts, once you snap the clip into the trim channel - mount it on the truck, sliding left or right for alignment IF needed, THEN push it into place, then place the nuts on from behind - and not TOO tight. If not comfortable with the sticky stuff exposed while doing this, then leave the peelable piece on there and position everything, then remove it and remove the film, then reposition and stick it all on together. It helps to have a helper, but then again, that's one more person that can screw things up in a heartbeat.

Last edited by jocko; 05-07-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #8
jocko

Ok, found it - for a 69, but lower belt should be the same location. I'd ask someone to confirm this stuff before drilling, there were SEVERAL pages of guides on this stuff, some for burbs, shortbeds, etc etc. So, as you can see, LMC took a little liberty with the sticky-backed clips, GM used more metal stuff. Anyway, it's less drilling! Recommend rough things into position with blue tape first, then decide if you like what you see. Hopefully, between these assembly manual pics and the LMC guide, you can get this stuff mounted, good luck! (I believe the two images in pic 3 are for swb (upper) and lwb (lower)).

EDIT: ALSO, other folks may have other ways they do this, recommend get a few more opinions before poking holes. This is just how I do it. Can also get measurements off a known original truck and then figure out the mounting spots and drilling locations from there.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #9
rockyrivermark

Yes. I bought upper trim also.

Quote:
Did you buy upper trim also?
Old 06-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #10
Hart_Rod

Great thread and info! Was needing this for the Burb, .
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote