The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Is this factory auxiliary tank dump worthy? and ground stuff

I pulled this because I want to install a in-bed tire carrier to the factory location. That and the tank is worthless. Anyway, this tank came off a 72 Super. I have new appreciation for those dealing with rust, I even had to cut the #10 screws for the filler neck cover. Thankfully rust has never been an issue on the 71 "project". Nice to learn new things however, and new tools are bonus. Until now, I've never used an air drill .

What's stopping me from dropping this tank into a dumpster? I have no use for a replacement.

GROUND: Why does an aux. tank use a ground wire? Cab tanks are just grounded to the cab then frame. Seems the same principle would apply to the aux. tank (tank to bed & bed to frame). There "should" be a frame to bed ground strap, which is not on this truck (doesn't mean it wasn't). Perhaps the ground wire for the aux. tank was a factory substitute?

Thank you.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
demian5

Re: Is this factory auxiliary tank dump worthy? and ground stuff

Pretty creative way to try and sell it.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
jocko

I thought it was a valid question. They are worth hanging onto or selling if not rusted thru to the point of having pinholes. That's when I punt. But internal rust in tanks can absolutely be remedied - just did so with a tank off a 59 tractor that sat in a field rotting for a long time. The slosh around refurb kits work pretty well. So, just because it was hard to get out (and they can be a major pain, especially those thru bolts), Doesnt mean they aren't worth saving.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Pretty creative way to try and sell it.
Ha!.....I don't think it's worth beans, but remain curious.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 06-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I thought it was a valid question. They are worth hanging onto or selling if not rusted thru to the point of having pinholes. That's when I punt. But internal rust in tanks can absolutely be remedied - just did so with a tank off a 59 tractor that sat in a field rotting for a long time. The slosh around refurb kits work pretty well. So, just because it was hard to get out (and they can be a major pain, especially those thru bolts), Doesnt mean they aren't worth saving.
Thanks Jocko. If I hold on to this it's just another way of saying it's done. I have no plans to restore the truck, and even if I did, an aux. tank would be the least of my worries. That said, the SPID calls for it.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #6
68bowtie

these tanks are some of those parts that have value but buyers are so rare that you'll sit on it forever.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
these tanks are some of those parts that have value but buyers are so rare that you'll sit on it forever.
Sounds right to me. If I had the space I'd keep it just cuz.