The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2004, 01:05 PM   #1
Benrs86

what year p/s will work

i have a 69 gmc 1/2 ton 2wd. do i need a gearbox off a 67-72 or can i use one off a 73 and up? i dont care if i need to drill holes in my frame or whatever, but i was wondering for the arm length and everything or could i just put my arm off my manual gearbox on the power gearbox? thanks, Ben
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Benrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

The power steering gearbox you need that will fit your application was used up until 1976 or so. They are a direct bolt-in, using the existing 4 bolt holes in your frame (the manual box uses only 3 of the 4).

Also, the pitman arm is different from the manual box (the splined sector shaft is larger on the PS) so you'll need to have that as well. Get the rag joint (steering coupler) with the power steering box...the power steering worm (input) shaft is larger also. Then, of course, you'll need the hoses (the pressure hose is still available at most auto parts stores, but the steel return line will probably have to be bought at LMC or some other specialty shop), the pump and the brackets to mount it, and the right v-belt/serpentine belt/pulleys to drive it.
Stepsides 4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:38 PM   #3
Benrs86

awesome, thanks. one more. are the 4wd gearboxes the same as the 2wd ones?? thanks, Ben
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Benrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

Nope. Everything is the same except the sector shaft splines...they have a spline pattern that is unique so your pitman arm won't fit.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:28 AM   #5
bumpster

When I did a junkyard swap on my 68, I was able to use the pump,brackets, and crank pulley of an old style (1964) Impala and gearbox from a 73 half ton. Money was tight, so pressure and return lines came from early 70's monte carlo and were long enough to let me bend them into place. I did have to steal the fitting from the back of a late style pump for the lines to fit up. Good luck!
99 H.D. Heritage[sanity check]
71 VW topless bug[summer fun]
"When I have the money, I don't have the time ; when I have the time, I don't have the money.
bumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:42 AM   #6
GMC69

Quote:
Originally posted by Stepsides 4Ever
The power steering gearbox you need that will fit your application was used up until 1976 or so. They are a direct bolt-in, using the existing 4 bolt holes in your frame (the manual box uses only 3 of the 4).

Also, the pitman arm is different from the manual box (the splined sector shaft is larger on the PS) so you'll need to have that as well. Get the rag joint (steering coupler) with the power steering box...the power steering worm (input) shaft is larger also. Then, of course, you'll need the hoses (the pressure hose is still available at most auto parts stores, but the steel return line will probably have to be bought at LMC or some other specialty shop), the pump and the brackets to mount it, and the right v-belt/serpentine belt/pulleys to drive it.

I just did this today.

BUT

I used to PS box from an 83 Chevy pickup and it bolted right up. The manual one did use 3 out of 4 holes but the 4 holes were still there. When I removed it from the 83 I kept the pitman arm on it. So I simply unbolted the old one, bolted up the new box, but I found that the inner fender was too close to the top of hate pump to allow me to put the lines in. I had to modify the inner fender a tad to make it work. The pump ( from the same 83) was from an inline 6 like my 69. BUT the mounts are different and I found the lines a bit too short ( of course that was with the inner fender before modification). I will check later this weekend if the hoses are still too short. I was planning on grabbing that inline 6 from the 83 anyhow which may solve my problems.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, on air bags
GMC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 03:39 AM   #7
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

GMC69...

...if I'm not mistaken, isn't the '83 unit metric (o-ring instead of flare fittings on the hoses)? If so, you were smart in grabbing the complete system from pump to gearbox...

I hope that I didn't imply that any other gearbox would not fit his hole pattern, but only that the correct gearbox for his application was produced until around 1976.

Also, please, think twice before putting anything related to steering or brakes on your truck. The safety of you and your loved ones (and maybe some people that you haven't met yet) may be riding on that 20+ year old power steering gearbox that you salvaged from a rusted out hulk in the junkyard. When it comes to brakes and steering, for myself, I want new or rebuilt, not questionable. Just my opinion...YMMV.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:32 AM   #8
GMC69

I grabbed everything since I have the truck sitting here. I guess if people are grabbing it from the wrecking yard then they would have to watch to make sure that the fittings are the same.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, on air bags
GMC69 is offline   Reply With Quote