The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2017, 11:32 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Bolt length for intake manifold, A/C bracket to intake, 402

Working on a 402 with an original intake manifold. Dry run for A/C assembly

I read you don't want too long of intake manifold bolts because they'll interfere with the push rods. From what I read, the longest bolt you should use is 1.25", which happens to be what's on my truck. Still, the bolts only bite 3/8" from the bottom of the head, so, they'd hardly be on using a shorter bolt.

Page 526 of the assembly manual shows lock washers used for the bracket that mounts to the intake. The bracket is 3/8" thick, so the existing bolts can't very well bite, even without lock washers.

1. Safe to say the bolts used for the A/C bracket on the intake are 1.75" long? Just looking for confirmation so I don't jack something up. That and interested in other insights.

2. Were lock washers used on all the intake bolts? My truck just has bolts (no lock washers). I don't see a reference in the manual, at least not via the index anyway.

Thank you
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Bolt length for intake manifold, A/C bracket to intake, 402

Any particular reason I should not use grade 8 bolts for that bracket on the intake? I ask because grade 8 are the only black phosphate, hex flange bolts I can find in 3/8-16 x 1.75. The existing intake bolts are grade 5.

Other than that, I found a couple of double side studs, which may have come from this truck. So happens one end of these are 1.75" long. Still, the book only shows bolts and L-washers. That and the studs would suggest something was mounted on top. Shame I wasn't paying attention when I removed the A/C some 25 years ago.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote