The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
imsuchaman55

Fuel level sender hookup for camaro cluster question

I have another question for my 5.3 swap into my 68 GMC. I am using the stock fuel tank and fuel level sender, and am trying to get it wired up to the PCM. I have a camaro cluster from a 99-02 and have it wired up to power now. the lights, blinkers, etc work, and still need to wire up the VSS and serial data wire. I have been searching all over for info but no luck. I know this cluster gets the tach, water temp and fuel level from the OBDII wire, and there is no way for me to connect my fuel level wire directly to the cluster. I need to figure out how to wire it directly into my PCM so that it puts out the correct signal to the cluster. I have already stripped out the fuel level wires in the harness from the instructions on LT1swap.com, but still have the left over wires with connectors, so I can re-install the pins I need in the proper locations.

I copied this from Lt1swap

C152 - Inline Harness Connector End View - NOTHING NEEDED ON THIS PLUG
Pin Wire Color Circuit No. Function
A BLK/WHT 1695 Four Wheel Drive Front Wheel Lock Telltale Feed
B -- -- Not Used
C GRY 474 Reference Voltage Feed - 5 Volt
D DK GRN 890 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Signal
E YEL/BLK 1827 Vehicle Speed Signal (VSS) - used for antilock brakes, not needed
F WHT 1310 Canister Vent Valve Solenoid Output
G ORN/BLK 510 Sensor Return (Fuel Level)
H -- -- Not Used
J BLK 470 Sensor Return
K PPL 1589 Fuel Gauge Sensor Signal

I also was googling around the web and found this article in a mustang mag where they put a LS into an old mustang.

"To eliminate this mess, we installed a gauge cluster from a Camaro Z28 into the Mustang's dashboard. Because the speedometer, tachometer, and most other gauges are fed data directly from the PCM, we knew it would be more accurate than the Ford gauges. The only gauge that needed modification was the fuel level, which required switching from measuring resistance through ground, to measuring resistance through 5 volts positive. We simply disconnected the grounded end of the sender, ran the 5-volt positive signal wire to one end of the sender, and connected the other end to the signal input at the PCM. The Ford's fuel-level sender reads 0 to 90 ohms.

Meanwhile, the Camaro sender used to read 33 ohms empty, and 240 ohms full. Luckily, the PCM acts as the fuel-level gauge buffer and calibrator, so you can recalibrate the gauge by programming it with EFILive or HPTuners."

So If I am reading this correctly, I should be able to make my stock fuel level sender work with the PCM, and that will send the correct signal to the cluster via OBDII??

It sounds like if I wired it the way the mustang guys did, I could take GRY-474- Reference Voltage Feed - 5 Volt and hook it to the grounded end of the sender, and hook the signal return wire to either circuit 510 or 470?

I would really like to get this worked out so the camaro cluster is fully functional. I have pictures of it installed in my signature, and think if I could get this little kink worked out, a lot more guys would do this mod instead of buying new electric gauges.
imsuchaman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: Fuel level sender hookup for camaro cluster question

I dont see the need for a 5-volt reference hooked to the sender? It sounds down right dangerous.
If you can change the Ohm range in the PCM to 0-90 Ohms with EFIlive/HPtuners it will work, I dont know for sure this can be done?
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
imsuchaman55

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
I dont see the need for a 5-volt reference hooked to the sender? It sounds down right dangerous.
If you can change the Ohm range in the PCM to 0-90 Ohms with EFIlive/HPtuners it will work, I dont know for sure this can be done?
The more I think about it, the more I feel the same way, I definately do not want to be sending positive voltage to the tank. I think I am going to try to make the guts of the original fuel gauge work with the new cluster, that way I dont have to worry about the pcm wiring or throwing codes, or worry about making the 0-90ohm programing work. I will post an update when I get it figured out to help anyone else trying this.
imsuchaman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:31 PM   #4
crakarjax

Ever get this worked out?