The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2017, 12:14 AM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

What the heck, I actually still want nutted sport mirror backing plates. Anyone?

Long story short, I've struck out many times on these. Just a comedy of errors, so to speak.

Anyway, reasonable to no pitting please. I only need the LH side, but a pair works as well and I'll pay good $ for them...... If you need a motivation, I'm motivated to pay up to $50 shipped for a nice pair. I may have some trade bait, such as a standard NOS lighted marker lens? Come to think of it, if you need the stainless grade 8 1/4-20 screws for these, I do have NOS available. FOUND, thank you Randy

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-14-2017 at 09:26 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:06 AM   #2
GR8-68

Re: What the heck, I actually still want nutted sport mirror backing plates. Anyone?

I am confused, what exactly are you looking for and what style ? Because I sold you those, they do not work ?

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: What the heck, I actually still want nutted sport mirror backing plates. Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
I am confused, what exactly are you looking for and what style ? Because I sold you those, they do not work ?
Those take a tap screw. I made them so they'd work with the 1/4-20 screws, using say K-nuts & lock washers. I prefer to use what's intended to avoid any slippage. Nice to have options.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 06-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
randy.powell

Hey Tony! Randy here. I think we've helped each other out before. I have one. Don't know if it's left or right. You'll have to run a tap through the welded on nuts to clean them up. Price - 0.00 if you want it. If you want a pic PM me a # to send it too.
LMK,
Randy
randy.powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
randy.powell

Tony - it's a L/H (driver's side). Pretty good shape. One screw has broken off into the nut but has been drilled out for an easy-out.
B/R,
Randy
Old 06-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
54blackhornet

I've got a set of original backer plates $37.00 shipped for pair....Jack
Old 06-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thanks for the great gesture Randy, but I think I'll pass. Have never used a tap nor have the tools. Only thing I've ever done is, long ago, I used one of those "reverse" drill bits to remove two valve cover screws I over-torqued........Ha! Nut driver since........................Speak of a tap, interestingly enough, the door jam switches were stripped on the rebuild. I figured, and by reading it was the sheet metal. Picked up some NOS. Happy to say it turned out to be the switches. On second thought, if you have no use for it, sure what the heck. Can you use some screws for these?

54blackhornet I sent a PM. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
randy.powell

Hey Tony! I was messing around in the shop this AM and went ahead and drilled out the broken screw and tapped out the nut plates. Came out good. I appreciate the offer of screws but I'm using the plates that take the self tapping screws. Anyway, PM me your mailing address and I'll send it out to you. Before you use it make sure all the screws line up correctly (mount it to the mirror).
B/R,
Randy
Old 06-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy.powell View Post
Hey Tony! I was messing around in the shop this AM and went ahead and drilled out the broken screw and tapped out the nut plates. Came out good. I appreciate the offer of screws but I'm using the plates that take the self tapping screws. Anyway, PM me your mailing address and I'll send it out to you. Before you use it make sure all the screws line up correctly (mount it to the mirror).
B/R,
Randy
Say Randy, "check it out man." Nice job on that tap. Thanks a bunch