The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
WB72
Before and After

Rear Main Seal

Is ther enough room to remove the oil pan to replace the gasket and rear main seal with the engine in the truck?

Will it have to come out or just raised wit the motor mounts loose.

I don't have access to a crane or engine lift.
66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:25 PM   #2
Sweet72

You will have to remove the engine mount bolts and jack the engine to remove oil pan. Floor jack or bottle jack engine up and use wood blocks between mount towers and engine then remove jack. A 2" block will give you enough room to remove the pan. Now don't forget to loosen the tranny mount. Change all mounts while your at it. Keep a close eye on the distrib. to firewall clearance if you have a HEI.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

I didn't have to jack up no engine when i changed the oil pan gasket on my 71 with a 350. I pulled the starter the first time but then after it leaked and i already had the starter up i figured i'd try and sure enough i could do it without even dropping the starter. My advice is to get a 1 piece oil pan gasket. Little more pricey (approx 25 bucks) but well worth the trouble. They come with little plactic screw that hold up the gasket and then the oil pan fits over the screws and the screws expand to hold the pan up so you can take one out at a time and put the actual bolt in. The only leak I had was coming off the front and it was because my timing chain cover lip was bent. Couple smacks with a hammer and she sealed up nice and tight. good luck
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote