The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2004, 01:43 AM   #1
UltraDresser

Question Steering Column Swap

Is there a clean swap available for a tilt steering column on my 69 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd..... Like something from a Camaro or Chevelle or anything anyone would know of... already converted to an Automatic B&M lock out floor shifter ..... I just ordered a rebuilt Sterring Box and Pump... but would like to modern up some.... Any suggestions out there would be so greatly appreciated
UltraDresser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:11 PM   #2
MOTHERTRUCKERS

We sell the IDIDIT floor shift steel tilt columns made for 67-72 trucks, it comes with the billit upgrade turn signal, tilt arms and hazard knob for under 325.00 shipping included.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:22 PM   #3
roj2323

From what I have read in the past day or two your best bet is to look for a van from that era. personally I’m trying to find a column to make my 71 an automatic but the kicker is I don't want tilt so I’m kinda stuck. This is my first project vehicle and I’m still trying to find good places for information and parts.

I guess I’ll just jump in here and ask:
Does anyone know where I can find an automatic steering column without tilt??
OnDrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
MOTHERTRUCKERS

Good used non tilt auto columns 75.00.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:02 PM   #5
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Ed,
I just requested an Ididt catalog from them. I wanted to know more about the optional accessories like the headlight switch kit, the windshield wiper kit and the cruise control kit that can replace the tilt / turn arms. The web said the were from Wire Works but no pictures and no details. Also, whats the cost for a chrome floor shift tilt column? I'm not really ready but any info would be appreciated.

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 06:03 PM   #6
Faster_than_you

well I would go with a iddit column setup. I found them at charlotte for like 275, plain and 375 billet polished. and then some other people had them for like 325 for the non billet polish.
I was thinking about doing that with my truck. but kinda like not having the shifter in the middle. My tacoma is a pain in the ass with people in the middle. sounds like your on your way for some bad ass pictures for us though. check out roddoors.com for some interior stuff. also seen that a guy had slid a navigator seats into his truck on ebay. they looked like they fit perfect. hmmm...caddy seats or navigator. hard decision
Old 04-08-2004, 06:22 PM   #7
Bluegoose972

I just installed a tilt column with automatic in my 71 chevy blazer. Fairly easy installation. The column was out of a Chevy van. I purchased the unit from a board member for $133, which included delivery. A little cleaning up and a few modification and it fit like a glove.

I don't alot of good sources for wrecking yards, but if you close to one, I bet you could find a tilt column in a chevy van for under a $100.
Bluegoose972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 02:23 AM   #8
basketcase

The van column swap is very common. I have one for mine not yet installed. I also have a '74 Corvette tilt/telescopic if I decide to go floor shift.

Tom
Old 04-12-2004, 03:11 AM   #9
acloco

I will post some pics of our sway when it is done. We ended up using a tilt/telescopic/column auto.....from a 67/68 Caddy.
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote