The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
gerry giordano

orange stuff

Guess this post 'll date me- or a least my vehicles. I've always used the green stuff anti freeze (or anti-boil for those of us in Phoenix). My '69 with the new Goodwrench 350 crate has orange stuff in the radiator. What's the story with that stuff?

Appreciate the education- thanks.
gerry giordano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
orange72350

call me crazy, but i beleive that is dexcool...if it is, i havent heard good things about it....have heard of people dumping it in favor of regular green stuff...but not 100% sure

2000 skiddo mxz 700. Camoplast 1.5 inch track, jaws twin pipes, b+b can, custom built and weighted clutch, wiseco piston, high comp heads. its very fast. wow.

72 c-10 longbox. Bright Orange. Brand new 350, rv cam, performer intake, qjet, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust into hooker areo chamber mufflers. Body work coming soon.

"dont let yer mind wander, its to little to go places by itself."

"Forget the herse, cause i'll never die"-ACDC Back In Black

"If It's To Loud, Yer Just Too Old"

"I Love Anything Fast Enough To Do Something Stupid In"

"Instant idiot, just add beer!!""
orange72350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 04:09 PM   #3
cableguy0

flush the dexcool out and use the green stuff
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

"Sposed to be more enviromentally friendly.I don't know.Also not sposed to be toxic.(I'm still not letting my dog drink it.)
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
smitty62

Naaaa, Naaa, Naaa!--it's made to be compatible with all the new aluminum engines out there. Cast iron is on the way out. It's not necessary to replace it, should work fine for any engine. What the hell difference does the color make?

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 07:38 PM   #6
jay6891
Car Knocker

If you change it out, make sure you flush it real good. I have heard that if you mix it with anything else, brand name included, it will gel up.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 07:52 PM   #7
mooneyes

...i've mixed it before with no probs...other than a nasty color
70 lwb 305/700r driver
78 caprice project
02 cavalier D.D ( hate it!!)
mooneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 08:17 PM   #8
acloco

Dump the orange stuff....DEXCOOL....it sucks! PERIOD.

If you dump it...you MUST flush all of it...including the heater core. If they mix, besides turning color, leaves a nice mud in all the small orifice areas of your engine, water pump, thermostat, heater core, & radiator.....eventually plugging them up......no bull. We probably see 3 or 4 vehicles a month that have been mixed.

To cure the aluminum corrosion problem....make sure that your body, chassis, engine, battery have GREAT grounds. Run them like the factory did...there IS a reason for this. Probably the #1 overlooked item by every person building anything...even the 100K street rods...look...and you will see what I mean.

You can also add a "water wetter" or water conditioner.....or use distilled water to mix your new green coolant.

Good luck.
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:30 AM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I say dump it too, we have seen them in our shop where no one had ever put anything in it but the corect dex cool, and it still gelled up clogging the heater core.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:44 AM   #10
walker

I have been running it just fine for years. I prefer the green stuff, as it has been around longer, and darn it anti freeze should be green! If you have it in there leave it, when you change it, flush it and change to green.
As far as the whole aluminum corrosion thing goes, it doesn't have much to do with ground wires. The corrosion has to do with the position of iron and aluminum on the Galvanic table. Sure good grounds are essential for the proper operation of you truck, but we are talking about 12v adodes and cathodes here, not earth ground. The way to protect your aluminum intakes is to make sure the product you are putting in there to protect them is up to snuff, and gets changed at the proper intervals.
Also, I like to use only distilled water in the cooling system, as it is "wetter" and doesn't leave behind minerals.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:49 AM   #11
acloco

Walker....I agree with you, but there is a little bit more to it than that as well.

The problem is moving a liquid, in our case, coolant....in passages that are made of cast iron & aluminum. That is how electrolysis begins.....and if you don't have good grounds....the problem worsens.

Look at the older Ford, Oldsmobile, etc, etc...engines that had an aluminum timing cover that was also the back of the water pump. Or the engines that have a block/gasket/steel plate/gasket/water pump as the setup on the front of the engine. Nine times out of ten...the aluminum cover or the plate is torn up......either from electrolysis or by simple corrosion.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:59 AM   #12
walker

I agree with you. Simple corrosion on aluminum is electolosis, it is the generation of electrical power by turning your engine block into a cathode and your intake manifold into an anode. To stop it you need to take away either the anode, the cathode, or the electrolyte. It is difficult to make your block and manifold the same potential, so you need to make sure your coolant does not become the electrolyte, by properly maintaining it. Also you could put a sacrificial adode in the cooling system that will give up its life to save your manifold like zinc. You can pick up zincs at the local marine supplier. I wonder why zincs are not a more commonly installed in automotive engines???
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:20 AM   #13
acloco

Walker....hehehe......ALL automobile manufacturers make their money on parts!! That would cut into a significant part of their revenue!!!! Then add in the aftermarket!!!

Great info!!!!!