The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Ram Horns, mufflers and rest of exhaust

I'm looking to finally get to the exhaust on my 1960 Suburban with an approx 330HP SBC 350. I have the stock torsion front end, but she's been lowered 2-1/2" with spindles and about the same with the torsions. 4" HD springs in the rear. This cause some issue with the tail pipe hitting a brake line, so I cut the pipe off until I could get the exhaust replaced, but now it's apparently causing my fuel line to vapor lock. Needless to say, it's time to get moving forward on the exhaust...

I currently have a 2" center dump Ram Horn on the passenger side, but the driver side is a rear dump truck manifold. This begs can I do a center dump on the driver side? Then can I easily step up to a 2-1/2" collector size? I'm thinking I want to run 2-1/4" exhaust pipes to get a little more flow.

Next, I'm trying to decide on a muffler for her. Currently, I have a 6" diameter 20" long set of mufflers. It is dual exhaust and I want to keep that, with the addition of H pipe. I don't want the exhaust to be over bearing when inside, but I do want to here the cam and have a nice hot rod V8 sound.

I've been looking at the Flowmaster HP2. FM says they are fairly mellow inside, have an insulating cover, which might be good against the plywood floor. The problem is the muffler shop says they are just a glorified glasspack that is over priced....they sell Flowmaster and Magna flow. Any other good suggestions? I don't want some huge oval muffler that has to be set sideways in the X frame causing it to hang down and be a possible catch point.

Also, Summit sells their steel 2-1/2" ram horns for $139 or the Flotech cast ram horns for $207.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
64shortbox

Re: Ram Horns, mufflers and rest of exhaust

I do know the 2" factory center dump rams horns manifolds fit so I'm sure the Summit or Flotech ones should fit too. Not exactly the greatest pictures I know but they're what I have on my computer. My exhaust pipe is tucked up even with the bottom of the frame along the outside of the frame out to the rear bumper but my truck also has glasspacks on it. That's the way I bought it.
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #3
northern 85

I went with the 72 style that both angle back, made 2 inch to 2 1/2 inch adapters that bolt right to the manifolds.
northern 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #4
rvrfoot

Name:  DSCN0771.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  DSCN0825.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  63.7 KB
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:00 AM   #5
MASTERBrian

Rvfoot...What brand mani and what year truck?
Old 07-02-2017, 12:05 AM   #6
rvrfoot

I got them from speedway 1966 c10
Old 07-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
Brad54

I've got small diameter center-dumps on my '61 Suburban. I routed them the stock way the factory did it--through the Torsion bar cross member in the center of the truck.
I used an aftemarket X-pipe, then continued the pipes down next to the driveshaft. Rather than go up and over the rear end, mine exist in front of the rear tires.

When I redo the truck, it'll have factory 2.5-inch rams horns, or Speedways, and will route the same way, but go all the way back and exit at the rear of the truck.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
MASTERBrian

On the ramhorns from speedway, you guys buying the steel or cast ones? Then do I buy the corvette style and cut the bracket our the universal? I just want black.

On the mufflers any feedback there? Would the HP2's be good or something better?
Old 07-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #9
rvrfoot

I have two flowmasters 40.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrfoot View Post
I have two flowmasters 40.
On those flowmasters do you notice much resonance inside the cab? ie...are they over bearing? I believe you have a pickup so it might be different in my 'burb, but curious none-the-less.

Back to the manifold's are the ceramic coated 100% the way to go or are the raw ones ok, if I paint them with a heat resistant paint? Spoke with someone at Speedway and he says the raw will rust within the first heat cycle. My question is how bad is that IF they are painted....I'm guessing I'd have to keep up on the painting to keep them nice. Might be worth $100 to never have to touch them.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #11
rvrfoot

Yes the Flowmaster 40s or loud anything about 40 mile-an-hour drowns out the radio in the burb might be a little quieter but you can get 50 or so they're quieter and about the ram horns yes they're rust mine is ceramic coated they should last a while you can paint yours if you use heat paint it should be okay
Old 07-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
MASTERBrian

I would think in the burb they'd be louder, being as there is cabin space above the mufflers....hmmm! BUT like I think I mentioned I believe the 40 series is what I have on my '99 K1500 Burb and though it has a nice rumble outside, it's not bad inside at all. The difference is I'm sure they insulated the heck out of those things.

I called speedway and got the quote and I'm also looking at Amazon and found some ceramic coated ram horns on there for about $50 less. The only review is very positive.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #13
rvrfoot

Just make sure if you get the ones from Amazon that mine came with all the hardware studs bolts washers and gaskets and make sure where the bottom dump is where the exhaust exits it's the same size that you want they make two and a half I believe they make like 2 maybe 2 and 1/4 make sure they're the true two and a half if that's what you want