The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2004, 03:51 AM   #1
stringpickin

Location: Northern Ca. at the base of the valley just entering the sierra foothills
Edelbrok EFI Conversion on 70 chev 4x4

Hello and thank you for any and all input.. I have a 70 chev. 350(383) 4spd, 4x4 short bed. edelbrock performer manifold and quad is on it now.

I am trying to find a bit of information on a retrofit for my 70 Chevy 4x4 from the stock set up to the Edelbrock EFI multi-point, which I am in the process of doing.. I have acquired the majority of the parts I am going to need to perform the job. Having ordered the Edelbrock, 3503 kit, most everything is there of course.. I am having a bracket made up for the fuel pump and dealing with a couple of other issues,

One of the issues which is the main reason I am writing turned out to be sort of a surprise to me. There is a little yellow post-it note that they shoved inside of the book that explains how to do the final adjustment using the interface they provide. Yea, I didn’t even look at that book for a couple of weeks, because.. WHY? Well, the why is,, so that you find the little yellow post-it note that tells everyone that does not have cable accelerator linkage to call them.. The phone call yields as you probably already know the statement that one needs to change the solid linkage accelerator setup to a cable setup..

So they informed me kindly, but of course can offer no advice on what works in retro.. They can provide the bracket that mounts the cable (mounting point). The bracket is adjustable and bolts to the back two bolts of the intake manifold. I ordered that from them. Also, I have ordered all of the stock cable accelerator stuff(pedal,brackets,cable, etc.) for 73 through 85(?) This is what I have come to as a conclusion as to what I most probably need to get this done.. Do you know if this is the right path to take?

I do have a few other questions too if you don’t mind helping me on any and all of them if you can.. I am also going to make a general post to the list, just in case I misunderstood what exactly you had done to your vehicle.

Bonus questions:

Where did you mount the brain at. I am pretty much convinced that it has to go behind the glove box, in-between the heater core body housing and the bottom of the wiper “well” area... I am a bit concerned about heat coming from the heater core housing; do you think that is an issue..?

Do you think the brain needs to be solid mounted? Or do you think that if it is wrapped inside of high quality insulation and packed nicely in the area above the heater core containment housing and below the “well” area and possibly held generally in place by one or two straps, that this would be sufficient?

Would you lean towards using a basic stock closed air cleaner with an inlet tube, or a simple top and bottom filter sandwich? My truck is smog exempt, so that is not an issue.

A couple of non-associated questions:

Do you have a recommendation as to a retro cruise control?

Concerning air conditioning. Do you think that the vacuum operated flap vent that is in the wiper linkage "well" on the passenger side is worth the hassle to keep in working order? This flap governs inside air or outside air source doesn’t it??

Do you think that it is worth while to stick to the old Freon because the system in these older trucks was barely enough to overcome the lack of air tightness of the vehicle? Or do you think the new Freon will do a more than adequate job o
stringpickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #2
tomsC10R

Stringpickin,

I have the same issue with my Holley MPI. I've decided I'm going to try a solid linkage with mine. I bought a throttle assembly out of a 72 truck, but couldn't figure out a way to make it work. I didn't see anywhere in the Holley manual saying not to use a solid linkage, but I've heard you should try not to. Do you know if there's any reason for not using solid linkage?

As for the computer. I mounted mine below the glovebox. I ran to pieces of angle aluminum from the frame of the dash below the glovebox to the firewall inbetween the two sections of the heater core and the blower (inside engine compartment). Then mounted the computer to the two pieces of aluminum. It looks like it will interfere, but I couldn't find any other place. I wouldn't wrap the computer in anything, it will get too hot

I'm using a regular air cleaner.

Goodluck!!

1968 C10 LWB. 402 BB, Holley MPI, 700R4. 4wheel Hydroboost Disk Brakes.
tomsC10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
stringpickin

Location: Northern Ca. at the base of the valley just entering the sierra foothills
Hello Tom, thanks for the reply.. I don't know about the Holley set up, but the reason a cable is needed for the Edelbrock setup is because the throttle body has a throttle positioning sensor mounted to it. If one uses solid linkage, as the engine torques and moves it will forcibly cause the throttle to open. So the net affect is uncontrolled acceleration and deceleration caused by engine movement relative to the solid linkage mounted to the truck body. If the Holley set up does not have the positioning sensor, you may be okay.

He sent me to a company called LowKar for the throttle cable and specialty adapters and what not. What he recommended I do, is to use the standard bell crank that my truck has on it already.. Retro the end of the bell crank to allow the use of an eye bolt with independent center sleeve mounting system to attach the cable....Then have a special length cable made custom for it... The only concern of course is having enough travel for acceleration. I may be able to bend the bell crank one way or the other to allow for the bracket that secures the cable in the middle mounting area to work accordingly. So, it sounds like I will not have to actually change the gas pedal and stock bell crank... That is very nice..

By the way, while talking to Tec. at Edelbrock right before I wrote this.. He made my day again; the brain can be stuffed inside an air tight box and it will not cause any problems. He said they are concerned about heat in the range of 350 to 600 degrees. The heater core box may be at 200 is no threat.. He also told me as long as it fits snugly in there, that the cable harness and the glove box and a piece of rubber insulation wrapped around the brain will be more than sufficient for keeping it located... Fantastic..... The only modification I will have to make is to cut the back of the glove box it self off a little bit and put a new back on it... No biggy..

I will post everything I learn during this Conversion so that any and al in the future will have some good starting point info.. Thanks again Tom

Barry
Old 04-13-2004, 01:00 AM   #4
tomsC10R

Barry,
I thought about what you said about the solid linkage and throttle position sensor (TPS). I also have a TPS on my throttle body. I was getting a little worried about my plan, so I went over to chevytalk.org and posted a question. I referenced you in my question, hope you don't mind Anyways, I just wanted to let you know what the response was.

It kinda makes sense... If the torque and solid linkage didn't effect the carburetor, why would it effect the throttle body.

Of course, I guess whether it would influence the throttle position would depend on the amount of torque you have. I'm going to be using heim joints on each end of the linkage, so that should help with the side to side movement of the engine.

Not saying that you or Edelbrock is wrong. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Here's the link. Oh yeah, DougF is I think an engineer at Holley
http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/sho...c=1&PHPSESSID=

Keep me updated. Got any pics?

1968 C10 LWB. 402 BB, Holley MPI, 700R4. 4wheel Hydroboost Disk Brakes.
tomsC10R is offline   Reply With Quote