The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
kens71gmc

Question Vintage a/c install question

Hey, got a question. Does anybody have an underhood picture of their Vintage Air compressor. What I'm looking for is the position the compressor sits on its mount. Got a s.b., short pump, p.s. and alternator on left. I won't say anymore so as not to confuse the matter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have been working on 71 GMC 1/2 ton, lwb. frame off resto. 383 sb/350 turbo, dynomax ceramic headers, Flowmaster 50's, summit HEI, JET tuned Q-jet, BE COOL radiator, soon to be installled Vintage Air, tank in frame, painless wiring (love it but a couple minor problems), 2 1/2 in. drop front, 3 in. drop rear. THAT ENGINE IS NOW BORN AND HOWLING LOUDLY!
kens71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:23 PM   #2
busterwivell

I wish I knew how to do the pics thing. What specifically are you having trouble with? Maybe I can talk you through it.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:51 PM   #3
kens71gmc

buster, what i'm having a problem with is the direction of the inlet and outlet holes. the manual tells me one thing but the paper with the diagram shows another. i called the factory and they said as long as you don't go past that 90 degree angle (which it says in the manual) with the compressor drain plug everything will be fine. i'm going out and take a picture of what i think it should be, let me know what you think. i really appreciate this. ken

I have been working on 71 GMC 1/2 ton, lwb. frame off resto. 383 sb/350 turbo, dynomax ceramic headers, Flowmaster 50's, summit HEI, JET tuned Q-jet, BE COOL radiator, soon to be installled Vintage Air, tank in frame, painless wiring (love it but a couple minor problems), 2 1/2 in. drop front, 3 in. drop rear. THAT ENGINE IS NOW BORN AND HOWLING LOUDLY!
Old 04-12-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
FuelCellGuy
FUEL CELL GURU

I had...

that compressor on my big block before it bit the dust. I had both of the hose outlets pointing up. My neighbor (street rod shop) puts the Vintage Air setups on everything he builds. Every one that I have seen him install has been pointing up. One of his customers has his installed like you do in the picture. They say that the oil will get out of the compressor easier if it is turned the way you have it. I don't know if he has had any trouble out of it or not. Hope this helps. Later, FCG
FuelCellGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:03 AM   #5
busterwivell

Don't mount it the way you see in the picture. Seems like I had a drawing showing the max angles you could mount it, but I remember you want the two fittings up, not down.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:31 AM   #6
trinic

This is how my system is installed. Never had a problem with it.....
hope this helps.

trinic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #7
kens71gmc

Lightbulb thanks for the replies

thanks buster, fuel, and trinic. the one reason i would like to lay it over is to get those hoses out of the way. as long as vintage air will warranty any problem that comes up with it mounted that way, i don't have a problem. the manual actually says that the outlets face toward the passenger side inner fender. also, that the oil plug does not go below the horizontal (below 90 degrees past top center). i've sent a picture to VA to show them exactly how this will be. i believe i can go to the next shorter belt to keep the oil hole higher. hey guys, again thanks for your replies, you've been a great help to this novice. ken