The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2004, 01:16 AM   #1
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

msd distributor curve?

right now i have my 8361 probillet dizzy set up with:
a light blue spring, a light silver spring, and a blue bushing.

with 10 degrees of initial timing, and the 21 that that curve above gives me, i have a total of 31 degrees.
it starts rising at about 1300rpm's and reaches full advance at about 2300rpm's.

if i change it to 2 light blue springs and a silver bushing it will give me 10 degrees of initial timing and 25 advance timing, for a total of 35 degrees total timing.
with that setup, it starts rising at 1250rpm's and reaches full advance at 3300rpm's

would changing the springs and bushing help me out any with my problems?

i'm running a 2500 stall also and 2.73 gears(for now)

also, the only port on my carb that doesnt have vacuum at idle is the one on the very back above the brake vacuum line everything else has vacuum at idle.
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:51 PM   #2
NeCrOmAnCeR

Sometimes new engines like to use alot of air at idle. Meaning you have to have the idle screws turned in a ways to get it to run. As the rings break in, you will find you can turn the idle screws out a bit, which will let the throttle plates close enuf so that the ported vac ports begin to function normally. Wouldn't worry about it till you get a few thousand miles on it. You can block off the vac advance till then.
NeCrOmAnCeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

i switched to both light blue springs and its not pinging nearly as bad, but it is still missing at high rpm's.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:11 PM   #4
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

tommorow i'm gonna swap out the bushing, i would have done it tonight, but i couldnt get to the locknut with teh dizzy in the engine. i set my initial timing at around 5 to 6 degrees and it is still hard to start up and still diesels.

oh, and my neighbor came out while i was working on it today and told me that i "need to do something about the truck, it is waking them up in the mornings"

i should have told him to buy me some new mufflers
Old 04-13-2004, 09:27 PM   #5
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

i tried every combo i could. 1. blue bushing light silver/light blue springs, 2. light blue/light blue springs and blue bushing, 3. lightblue/lightblue springs / silver bushing, 4. lightblue/light silver springs/ silver bushing.

it barely made a difference. it seemed to pull the hardest with the blue/blue blue combo. none would stop the pinging the engine is making none of the combos helped with the major miss i'm having either.