The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
sonofasalesman

Re: Strange '73 1ton question(s)

Okay guys, here is what I know about the Chevalier. My dad sold chevys in the 1970 s and I remember seeing one on another dealer's lot when I went with my dad on a dealer exchange. El Dorado, the company that makes motorhomes had ordered a large shipment of these van chassis to turn into motorhomes. Then the Arab Oil Embargo / Fuel Crisis of 1973 hit. People were not buying very many motorhomes this year and El Dorado was stuck with all these chassis. They brainstormed and came up with an idea to turn them into trucks, hence, the Chevalier. In a marketing agreement with GM, they were sold through Chevy dealerships. Every dealer got one. They all were built as box trucks. Lots of capacity, but only a one ton payload. These are a low limited production "one-off" kinda deal. A wicker furniture company near me owned two of these trucks. Good for that kind of hauling. Well, hope this info helps.
sonofasalesman is offline   Reply With Quote