The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
beaterku

Thoughts on Master/Booster Combo

I have been kicking around the idea of getting one of these "black out" booster combos with a Wilwood master and prop valve. I am going to be using Wilwood front and rear disks with this.

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...ster-Cylinder/

My question is, POL doesn't seem to have the best reputation. Is this a wise purchase? The Wilwood master/prop is around $300 on it's own, so $200 for a booster doesn't seem to crazy. The only problem I see is it's a single diaphragm booster.

My truck currently has the stock booster. As I continue to type, I am starting to talk myself out of this setup. I am concerned that a 9" single is not going to be enough. I am going to go with the Wilwood master/prop. I guess I need to determine my booster situation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
Tiger Joe

Re: Thoughts on Master/Booster Combo

I run that wilwood setup but with a dual diaphragm booster. I only run a 7" booster. No issue at all.

I pieced my own kit together and used one of captain fabs brackets that's moves the booster nice and close to the firewall.
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
jocko

On the contrary, I've always heard POL was one of the better suspension/brake suppliers to deal with. I've talked to their customer service on several occasions and they were helpful. I haven't, however, purchased a lot of stuff from them - so others may have more experience (or personal horror stories) than I do.

I would also recommend CaptainFab's setup, I bought the bracket Joe mentions and it's a very high quality product, and the good Captain is always available with helpful advice on what parts can be used to piece together the rest of the system.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Joe View Post
I run that wilwood setup but with a dual diaphragm booster. I only run a 7" booster. No issue at all.

I pieced my own kit together and used one of captain fabs brackets that's moves the booster nice and close to the firewall.
What booster are you running? Do you have any pictures of the completed setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
On the contrary, I've always heard POL was one of the better suspension/brake suppliers to deal with. I've talked to their customer service on several occasions and they were helpful. I haven't, however, purchased a lot of stuff from them - so others may have more experience (or personal horror stories) than I do.

I would also recommend CaptainFab's setup, I bought the bracket Joe mentions and it's a very high quality product, and the good Captain is always available with helpful advice on what parts can be used to piece together the rest of the system.
What booster did you use? Pictures?

After seeing what you two have said, I went down the rabbit hole of boosters used in conjunction with the Captain Fab bracket... So many options, so many choices..

I saw that someone used the Inline tube dual 8" booster http://r.ebay.com/dYzdyl

The price is certainly right. I know Inline make great tubing, but what about boosters?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
bs46488

I've purchased a few things from POL and have no complaints.

Reasonable prices, fast shipping, good fitment.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
beaterku

The plot thickens. Now POL is offering the Black Out combo in a dual 8" booster. With their current sale, that takes it down cheaper than I can piece together the parts with a Captainfab bracket. I am really torn now.

I like the simplicity of the Captainfab setup in that the pedal pushes the master directly as opposed to the linkage on the stock setup that the POL combo kit uses. Less points of failure. The only draw back I have is I am unsure if an 8" dual booster will clean my factory tilt shift arm.

I like that the POL is a bolt in affair. This is a bonus as I don't have to monkey with joining the lever rod to the booster rod. Inconsequential I know, but none the less. The draw backs are unknown origins of the booster and linkage/bracket assembly. I am sure they will be fine, but I don't want to scrimp on the brakes.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #7
Tiger Joe

Only pic I have right now. Tons of room to clean my big block
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #8
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Joe View Post
[IMG]///[/IMG]

Only pic I have right now. Tons of room to clean my big block
Thanks! What booster are you using?

Last edited by beaterku; 08-30-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:41 PM   #9
pappy 2

Using a booster-master cyl. unit from Summit with Capt. Fab bracket. Pic of mock up before tear-down. 7 inch dual booster. Hope it works when truck get put back together next spring.
Attached Images

pappy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:00 PM   #10
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy 2 View Post
Using a booster-master cyl. unit from Summit with Capt. Fab bracket. Pic of mock up before tear-down. 7 inch dual booster. Hope it works when truck get put back together next spring.
Thank you!