The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 AM   #1
dflarsen77

Need advice on head choice

Posted this in the engine section but I listen to most of the posters here more often.

I'm rebuilding my 70 C10, in the middle of the engine, and I need to choose heads. I have the stock 350 block, casting 3970010, code V0523TAX. So it's a 255hp 70. Heads are 3932441, which are one of the better castings from what I've read.

The motor was rebuilt in the 80s, and it's been neglected and/or abused for the 30 years since. The heads need to be rebuilt. The main & rod bearings were in the most awesome shape. Crank is welded and the 1/2 rod journal looks like swiss cheese. A lot of problems, but I'll have the bottom end sorted this week. Bored 030 over.

I have to have him measure the deck, but I assume it was stock by how rough it is and the front engine code is still decent. But I'm going to assume he'll take off .010, giving a 9.015 deck height. With 1.540 compression height flat top pistons, I'll have .035 deck clearance, and with fel pro permatorque head gaskets, another .039 from those.

My goal here is just a street motor, never planning to race, but with great power that's fun to drive, and runs at least on the 91 premium here in CA.

The best shop around where I live is $600 to rebuild the heads. I'd still have 1.94/1.5 valves, stock 76cc chambers, basic runners. Plus I have an intake and an accessory bolt hole I'll have to fix on these, so even though it would be original block and heads, I'm not a fan of the idea.

But I've been reading great things about the Summit iron heads, 2.02/1.6 valves, 72cc chambers, supposed to be double hump clones. So I was set on those heads. They're $680 a pair.

Then I see that Summit has a pair of Blueprint Engines aluminum heads for $895, and an $80 credit to use at summit (which I'll definitely still need). These are 64cc chambers, 195cc intake runners, so they probably flow a bunch. But I already have a new set of stock head bolts so I'd have to eat the cost of a new set, and I'd have to get hardened pushrods for the guideplates. So it's quite a bit more. I've read aluminum heads are less durable, and you can run higher CR's, but I've also found most recent studies have debunked those older claims. But it's still a lot of extra cost for a build I'm trying to keep down and I'm not looking for crazy power, maybe 350hp, prob less. Reviews on these around the web find occasional casting/assembly issues.

Then I hear about Enginequest heads part CH350HA, $743/pair. They make heads for dirt trackers I guess, foundry is in NZ. They make a basic assembled iron head, 64cc, vortec chambers with perimeter bolts and old style intake (I already have valve covers and intake so I don't want to change to actual vortec heads, makes these a big plus), 176cc runners. Heard only awesome stuff about these.

I sent Comp Cams a request for a cam based on my motor with the Summit heads, and they recommended the XE262H-10 high energy grind, 110 LSA, 218/224 duration @ .050, 462/469 lift. Guy I emailed with showed dyno results on a similar motor. Looks good.

So I'm looking for opinions. Kind of performance versus cost, cam recommendations. 72cc heads will give me ~8.8:1 CR, and the 64CC heads will give 9.5:1 CR. Can I do 91 octane? Anything that comes to mind! Thanks bros!

Bonus, added pics of the awesome bearings. and the block and parts when I first got it disassembled.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2017, 03:43 AM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Need advice on head choice

$600 to rebuild 45 year old heads with a casting number that is prone to crack is foolish. Fixing the head bolt accessory hole is no biggie, helicoils work awesome and cheap ones on ebay are just about as good as the helicoil brand name ones. Easy to install in cast iron too, don't let that worry you a bit if it does. If
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
biketopia

Why not for just over 500, pick up a set of these http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...14005/10002/-1 ?? Vortec heads are arguably one of the best cast iron heads chevy ever designed, and for the price, you can't beat em. Use the 100 bucks you would save over fixing old worn out heads and your 80 credit to pick up a vortec intake, the mounting holes are different, and be good to go. The vortec heads like compression too. I'm building a vortec headed SBC for a camaro project and using an old LT4 hot cam in a roller engine and that combo with 1.6 rockers should make over 400hp.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
biketopia

All the info you never knew you wanted yo know about Vortecs http://nastyz28.com/threads/vortec-c...e-guide.56505/

Vortec head engine build
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/678...cam-355-build/

Little more info, less daunting than the fist link http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/97458/

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 07-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
harpo231

Always remember new bolts for heads , not original
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
Always remember new bolts for heads , not original

Exactly, can get a set of bolts with sealant on them ready to go for like 32 bucks delivered.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 07-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
dflarsen77

Thanks for the responses guys.

First, I know fixing the bolt holes on the heads isn't a big deal, but the heads in general have to be rebuilt. I brought that up to emphasize the idea that it isn't worth dealing with the old heads.

Second, I kick myself for not going down the Vortec path in the first place a little, but really I just like perimeter mounting bolt style valve covers. When I had originally pulled the engine, I intended to clean up all the gaskets and paint it, so I had already purchased an aluminum intake manifold, valve covers, etc, and it was last summer, so it's too old to return. But as I got into disassembly, too many signs showed me I needed to go further. So I could get reman vortecs, but I'd have to get a manifold, valve covers. But really, I just don't like the look.

Third, I have a set of new head bolts. Sorry for the confusion there.

Anyways, I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has used any of those heads, or recommendation based on the specs I gave, and cam choices, and the old CR vs octane debate.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
toolboxchev

I am currently running those 441 heads on a complete top end rebuild, 70 k on it and still going. Cheap everyday fuel with no knocking was the goal.

He is some insight into keeping those on your motor. I am using an Accel Super Coil (55k volts or better, hot spark, hei setup), Pertronix HEI ignition module, Pertronix adjustable vacuum advance unit.

It cost me 300 bucks to have those heads redone, hardened seats, viton positive seals.

It all works together with mostly stock components, Edelbrock Carb and AC R45ts spark plugs on an old bottom end. I had 150 psi compression on all cylinders when done.

I cammed down a bit going 1 step over stock with a Comp Cams Kit #SK12-205-2, My Cam I pulled out with flattened lobes was a Melling MT-2. Which I believe is 2 steps over stock and considered a RV Cam.

Summing it all up with THD350 transmission, 4.10 gears, and just around 5000 grand on the tack its pulling over 100mph with some pedal left to go!!!

And thats on 87 pump ethanol! I figured I ended up doing pretty good for a ??? Shade tree job done by meself and one of my best buds!

Last edited by toolboxchev; 07-24-2017 at 01:49 PM.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
biketopia

Can always sell the intake on here, craigslist, swap meet etc.., they make adapters to use perimeter bolt covers on center bolt heads, or I believe they can also be drilled to accept them. Even with those things considered, the $517 vortec option is a few hundred less than the other options you listed out, then with buying and selling and adapting you could have those set up ready to go for probably less total money. If you want to stick with your intake etc, a few guys at my brothers shop run the blue print engines aluminium heads on their SBC and BBC and have had a great success with them for the price.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 07-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #10
tdangle

What about the edelbrock E-Street heads? They are suppose to give almost the same power as vortex heads, but not require a different manifold or valve cover. You can get then in a 64CC chamber also.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #11
bandit0067

I put a 327 with Vortex heads in my 69 1500, running an Comp Cam with small headers and it is the best motor in my fleet. Planning a new small block for a new project and will use Vortex heads for sure.....very cheap hp.
bandit0067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:11 PM   #12
halfstep

I have a nice set of Edelbrock Performer RPM 6089 heads that would be great for your application. 185cc runners, 64cc chambers, works with stock styl intake, etc.
I have them in the classified section under miscellaneous - where no one goes.
If you are interested you can see them there or PM me. Priced well.
I also have new ARP bolts, Comp Rockers, Pushrods, gaskets, etc.
Attached Images

halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote