The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2017, 01:33 AM   #1
bradleyheathhays

Looking for a model suggestion for my first resto project

Hi. I'm new to the board and I've come to see if the good people here can help me narrow down a pickup truck model to focus on as a rebuild project. Lately I've been learning some about the 60-66 trucks and decided this is the style I'd like to focus on. But before I get into the project details, a little about myself..

I'm a self taught reasonably competent mechanic that's been doing all my car maintenance (except deep engine, clutch or trans work) for the last 20 years or so. I have some body (bondo, primer and wet sanding) experience but haven't done much in the way of dent removal or panel replacement. Although I don't have a lot of welding experience mig welding comes naturally enough. If I don't know how to do something I ask questions, and with good advice can usually get the job done.

So, what I'm looking for.. Basically I'd like to find a good, what I'd call 'atomic era' truck of early to mid 60s (or 50s possibly) to get into good shape and use as a work truck. After getting it right mechanically and with a great body and paint job, it would be used primarily to travel to bid on residential and commercial painting jobs. Basically it would be used as a selling point to illustrate the quality of work we do as a company.

Requirements for the truck is to be gas efficient, which would probably mean an in-line 6 engine paired with an auto trans w/ overdrive. And to be comfortable and drivable... meaning power steering, disc brakes and a/c. It would need to handle stop and go city driving, as well as be able to do short hops of 65 mph safely on the interstate. Hauling duties would be minimal.

The model I've gotten to know best so far are the 60-66 Chevy c10s, although I'm open to just about anything including the same era f100s or Internationals, or I even sort of like the 50s Chevy Advance Design models.

So that's about it. You guys have an opinion on what model trucks of this era would be a good candidate for what I'm looking to do?
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Looking for a model suggestion for my first resto project

They are my favorite, so thats my vote. Hard to beat the style and I am partial to the 64 to 66 cabs. Got my first one more than 40 years ago and always come back to them.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #3
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

64-66 will be the easiest of the 60-66. Then 63, then 62, then 60-61.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #4
bpmcgee

Bradley,

Although I'm partial to the 60-66, a 67-72 might be a little easier for a beginner because parts are SUPER common, and '71 was the first year with factory front disc brakes.
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Oh, and if you want efficient, don't really waste your time on a inline 6 engine. These trucks are heavy and the 6 isn't really going to get you better mileage than a mild V8 with an overdrive. Part are harder to find and can be a little more expensive for the 6 than the common SBC V8.

Biggest advantage to using the 64-66 is they share the most common parts and have the most reproduced of the 60-66 era. If you go with the '59 or earlier, you have a solid front axle which is going to ride much worst than the IFS of '60 and later.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:58 PM   #6
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

64-66 SWB with a SB and 700R. Add PS/PB and A/C.
But... what's your budget?
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:32 PM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I think the best choice for a fuel efficient engine and trans will be a 4.8 OR 5.3 LS engine. With the correct rear gearing and a good tune you should be able to achieve MPG in the low to mid 20's.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
rvrfoot

I have a 66 but for you maybe the 67 to 72.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #9
Brad54

Here's my list, and reasons:

'60-'62 is more expensive, because they have the torsion-bar front suspension, X-member frame and hydraulic clutch. All of these things combine to make parts for a rebuild and upgrade more expensive. The parts ARE out there, but you'll pay a higher price than later trucks.

'60-'63 has the wrap-around front windshield, which I REALLY like. Windshield is much more expensive than the later trucks, as are the vent windows.
They have the drop-out center section rear axle assembly, which is expensive to rebuild, and limits your gear choices VERY much.
An optional Dana 44 rear axle was available for these years, and while they're a fantastic rear end, have about 20 different gear ratios available, and are still used in Fords and Jeeps so posi units are cheap, they're very rare to find in the '60-62 truck mounting points.

1963 has easy and inexpensive mechanical clutch linkage, essentially the same frame as later trucks, and is in my opinion the best of both worlds: the later style frame is easily upgradeable with more modern front suspension, and it has the cool wrap-around windshield.
The rear axle is a bit of a one-year-only deal, but not a deal-breaker.

1960-61 trucks, if you like the big Double Bubble hoods, those are expensive.
The grilles for 60-62 are also more expensive then their '63-up counterparts. Both to buy, and then to rebuild since for '60-'61 you've got to buy twice the number of lights and adjuster hardware.

Factory full-instrument clusters are more expensive for the '60-'63 truck as well.

'64-'66 are the easiest and cheapest chassis/suspensions to upgrade of the era, with factory junkyard parts from later vehicles, and after-market parts.
The windshields are much cheaper than the wrap-around earlier ones.
Full-instrument gauge clusters are cheaper if you want to upgrade.

Just about EVERYTHING is available reproduction for them, while there's a lot of holes in the '60-'62 offerings.

All these trucks are still found in junkyards, but it's not like it was 10 years ago.

Factory options like Power Steering and A/C are nearly non-existent, and expensive when you find them, power brakes are rare too, but the aftermarket has that covered.

'67-'72 trucks are very plentiful, everything is available for them, they had more factory options like A/C, Power Steering, Power Brakes, factory sway bars, disc brakes on the later ones, they're plentiful in junk yards if you like junk yard crawling (I do), and the aftermarket is choked with everything you'd need. And it's usually cheaper than the '60-'66 stuff.

Me? I like the '60-'63 trucks, and that's what I've got (Suburban and K10).
If I was starting from scratch like you are, I'd go for the '63-'66 trucks.
If I was strictly going by cost, it'd be '64-'66 trucks for the last of the Atomic Era, but '67-'72 is better strictly from an accounting bottom-line perspective.

The '55-'59 trucks look great, but they're about twice as expensive to build as the '60-'66 trucks, starting with the purchase price and going from there.
I've got a friend who loves them, and he keeps buying starting points... a ROUGH, non-running starting point is $3-4K, while I can buy complete, driving '60-'66 trucks all day long for that price.
And then buying the parts needed to get the '55-'59 trucks back on the road is much more expensive. For cabs that aren't as roomy as the '60-'66.

For powering yours: Crate 350, 290-350hp is all you'll need, they're cheap, reliable and have a warranty. Brackets, intakes, power steering conversions, and everything else you'll need is a lot cheaper than building and dressing an Inline 6.
Overdrive trans, with 3.55 or 3.42 gears in the back will honk you down the road at 75mph all day every day.

Get a good radiator, a factory fan shroud, and the biggest fan you can fit in the opening.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:51 PM   #10
jweb

I own a '51 pickup and a '64 suburban (project).

I would recommend a 64-66 for what you want. The '64 has been much easier and less expensive to upgrade the suspension and brakes.
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:44 AM   #11
bradleyheathhays

First thanks everybody so much for all the good info. This is exactly what I'm needing with my steep learning curve and everything right now.

Yes it seems the more I learn the more I'm leaning toward the mid 60s c10s b/c they just seem easier and possibly a little less expensive to tackle (among the early to mid 60s c10s that is). I know the next era trucks 1967- seem to have more of the creature comfort options I'm wanting, it's just that the styling has changed too much for me in the newer body styles.

And Brad54 thanks a ton for all the info. I really do like those wrap around windshields too and based on what you're saying I should prob go for a '63 if I want that style. Considering the upgrades I'm wanting to do what type of issues would a '63 present vs. trying to achieve the same thing with a '64-66?

questions

1- What's surprised me in what I've learned so far is that I would prob get equal if not better gas mileage w/ a V8 rather than an inline 6. Considering the condition these original engines are likely to be in, would it be better/cheaper to drop a new engine and tranny both in, or go with the V8 that comes in whatever model I get and then try to pair an auto trans with it?

2- I would guess when saying SBC V8, the sbc stands for small block chevy instead of single barrel carburetor?

DPowers... Sorry I'm not sure about the abbreviations. When saying '64-66 SWB with a SB and 700R...what does SWB and SB stand for?
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #12
bpmcgee

SBC = Small Block Chevy
SB = Short Bed
SWB = Short Wheel Base (aka Short Bed)

If you're justifying a new engine with fuel savings, it will take thousands of miles to repay it. You shouldn't have much of an issue pairing the existing v8 to a 700r4, and that will get you the overdrive you want.

Alternately you could get a little more power out of the v8 by freshening it up, and give yourself a slightly higher rear-end gear, which is a pretty inexpensive way to go and also keeps things pretty easy mechanically.

I think one key you should focus on is to not get too ambitious in your projects until your experience level goes up. One of the most common ways that projects die is the owner finds himself out of his depth and loses interest. When you plan something keep in mind that it WILL be more complicated and expensive than you anticipate.

B
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #13
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

A couple threads that might interest you :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744935
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484935

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #14
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

Go '63. Nothing beats the look of the knee-knocker cab. Of course I am a bit biased....
Old 08-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #15
raggedjim

I kinda like this truck, it's been hard for me not to go buy it.
https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto...261084119.html

You may not want a C30, but this thing has potential...

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #16
franken

It sounds like you want a nice frame off restore type vehicle which can take years and/or cubic dollars--as asked, what's the budget? Who will do the work? Most people find that once its apart, they want little to do with the project and scrap or sell.

A few possibilities and my truck preferences...

55-57 looks like a 55 Chevy
64-66 avoids the odd frame/suspension issues
71-72 factory disk brakes

None of these are going to get great mileage since they're heavy and have the aerodynamics of a brick. An LS and OD trans will help, but you may need to swap rear gears to match the OD and power/RPM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #17
luvbowties

Smile Re: Looking for a model suggestion for my first resto project

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
Hi. I'm new to the board and I've come to see if the good people here can help me narrow down a pickup truck model to focus on as a rebuild project. Lately I've been learning some about the 60-66 trucks and decided this is the style I'd like to focus on. But before I get into the project details, a little about myself..

I'm a self taught reasonably competent mechanic that's been doing all my car maintenance (except deep engine, clutch or trans work) for the last 20 years or so. I have some body (bondo, primer and wet sanding) experience but haven't done much in the way of dent removal or panel replacement. Although I don't have a lot of welding experience mig welding comes naturally enough. If I don't know how to do something I ask questions, and with good advice can usually get the job done.

So, what I'm looking for.. Basically I'd like to find a good, what I'd call 'atomic era' truck of early to mid 60s (or 50s possibly) to get into good shape and use as a work truck. After getting it right mechanically and with a great body and paint job, it would be used primarily to travel to bid on residential and commercial painting jobs. Basically it would be used as a selling point to illustrate the quality of work we do as a company.

Requirements for the truck is to be gas efficient, which would probably mean an in-line 6 engine paired with an auto trans w/ overdrive. And to be comfortable and drivable... meaning power steering, disc brakes and a/c. It would need to handle stop and go city driving, as well as be able to do short hops of 65 mph safely on the interstate. Hauling duties would be minimal.

The model I've gotten to know best so far are the 60-66 Chevy c10s, although I'm open to just about anything including the same era f100s or Internationals, or I even sort of like the 50s Chevy Advance Design models.

So that's about it. You guys have an opinion on what model trucks of this era would be a good candidate for what I'm looking to do?
Bradley, to get ANY kind of decent gas mileage, you will need something like the pickup engines, 4.8 or the 5.3 sbc INCLUDING ITS overdrive tranny ( "ITS" to avoid shifting problems ) AND ITS properly wired computer system. This is what I would do if I did my '66 over. You could use a variety of diff'l. ratios--even if you went to, say a 4.00:1[just for ease of math], the od tranny w/its 70% gear reduction would drop it to a 4.00X.70 = 2.80:1 on the road--not counting even a bit more with the torq convertor lockup feature. And with a 3.42:1 diff'l, you'd get final ratio on hwy of 3.42X70% = 2.39:1. Then, the computer keeps your fuel-to-air ratio AND ignition timing at their optimal at ALL driving conditions, both around town as well as on the hwy. These 3 features--of o/d AND fuel injection, plus optimal ignition timing via computer--are where you will get the increased mpg.

A point of interest: the difference in hp between the 4.8 and the 5.3 is only something like only 10 ponies!

Then, I might swap my finished '66 to you for yours!
Good luck, Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:18 AM   #18
Brad54

I got 15-17mpg pretty reliably with my '61 suburban.
Crate 350 290hp, 3.42 rear gear, tall tires, 4spd OD manual trans with .72:1 OD.

LS engines are awesome, but fuel injection and computers are expensive, and they'll require fabricated engine mounts, electric fan, electric fuel pump, return line to the tank, etc etc.
A carb'd small block is still the cheapest and simplest way to go.

For the OP, if you dig the wrap-around windshield, the '63 is the way to go. Front suspension will swap with later trucks, as a bolt-in. 5-lug conversion if you want, disk brakes, sway bars, etc etc.
Rear axle is fine.

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #19
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Looking for a model suggestion for my first resto project

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I kinda like this truck, it's been hard for me not to go buy it.
https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto...261084119.html

You may not want a C30, but this thing has potential...

Good luck, Rg
I see/hear that much between back glass and front bumper!
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote