The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
x75

1964 C-10 steering column slop

Thanks for any help, I just joined the board.

My steering wheel flops around pretty good, side to side an inch or two. I replaced the signal switch which also was busted and even with the new bearing the wheel is still floppy. Something is missing.

Just underneath the signal switch is a lot of space, and the main steering column/rod is loose inside the jacket (3 on the tree).

I've got a photo of everything under the wheel but cannot find en exploded diagram of what's supposed to be inside the tube.

What is missing here?
Attached Images

x75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
forestb

Re: 1964 C-10 steering column slop

The bearing for the upper part of the shaft sits inside the turn signal switch. I think you might have to buy that separate from the switch. There is another bearing at the bottom of the shaft at the vary end of the outer tube. If it is still flopping around after you install the new switch you might be able to tighten the tension of the bearing by using the adjustment screw that is on the under side of the outer tub.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
x75

thanks for your reply.

yes, the new plastic turn signal switch came with a new bearing already installed inside the plastic switch assembly, but the whole switch is so flimsy I did not think it secured the entire central steering rod.

Looking at my picture, if I set the white round metal turn signal housing back on the top of the steering column, with the stem through the new top bearing, the whole thing still flops around. Nothing seems to secure the round metal switch housing to the top of the column mast/jacket.

If someone has upgraded their old 3-on-the-tree column to a fancy new tilt/auto setup, maybe I can get the guts out of the old column.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
forestb

Install the mettle cup first by putting it over the grooves in the mettle tube and turning it so that it is in the slots in the tube. Then screw the plastic turn signal switch down. It will clamp the cup in between the plastic and the tube.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
luvbowties

Smile Re: 1964 C-10 steering column slop

Quote:
Originally Posted by x75 View Post
Thanks for any help, I just joined the board.

My steering wheel flops around pretty good, side to side an inch or two. I replaced the signal switch which also was busted and even with the new bearing the wheel is still floppy. Something is missing.

Just underneath the signal switch is a lot of space, and the main steering column/rod is loose inside the jacket (3 on the tree).

I've got a photo of everything under the wheel but cannot find en exploded diagram of what's supposed to be inside the tube.

What is missing here?
Look at this schematic--esp. lower bearing.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=41
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #6
rvrfoot

Upper bearing.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:32 AM   #7
BabyBlue64

Install the mettle cup first by putting it over the grooves in the mettle tube and turning it so that it is in the slots in the tube. Then screw the plastic turn signal switch down. It will clamp the cup in between the plastic and the tube.[QUOTE]

Mine had one of the slots broken off at the end of the tube. The metal cup will always move around if you install everything back. As far as I can see from the picture you are also have some broken slots.
BabyBlue64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
x75

Thanks to BabyBlue64, forestb ad all the others who chimed in on how the top steering bearing assembly goes together.

I went back and examined the parts and found that the slots at the top of the mast were severely bent outward, possibly from an accident or rough handling of the steering wheel. This let the signal switch cup wiggle around too much, causing the slop in the wheel. I straightened everything out (including the metal switch cup) and put it back together and everything looks/feels right, even the shifter is more secure and positive.

Thanks again, now I’m ready to drive it.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #9
karlbenz

My tabs were broke off on mine. ended up putting a column in
karlbenz is offline   Reply With Quote