The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2017, 01:59 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

What fuel to use?

OK....sooooooo close to restarting the engine (will be the first time since 2005). Do I use regular 87 (up to 10% ethanol) or go for 100% real gasoline?

There is a station about 20 miles away that sells the "real" stuff, assuming they are open on Sundays.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:13 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: What fuel to use?

I've been putting 89 octane in everything lately, seems to run better and smoother. If I plan on hauling or towing something heavy I'll top off with 91 octane.....No ethanol for my rides, seems to burn up faster
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:33 AM   #3
In The Ten Ring

Isn't ethanol in all grades of gasoline or is it only in 87 octane?
Old 10-29-2017, 04:26 AM   #4
In The Ten Ring

I may need to clarify some things. The truck hasn't run since 2006. I have had the tank renewed, I have replaced every inch of the fuel lines, put in a new pump, had the carb rebuilt. The truck will not be driven at all in winter, it will sit in a garage.

I just want to get it running and have that milestone reached this year. At most the truck will be restarted and run a bit every two weeks of this winter.

Next spring I hope to complete this "soft build" and get it licensed and fully back onto the road.

Would non-ethanol fuel be best for my stock and completely OEM engine?
Old 10-29-2017, 06:52 AM   #5
panhead59

Use the non ethanol gas ,especially if it's going to sit for any length of time. Ethanol has a tendency to "separate" with time. Usually just in a month or so. Go to puregas.org for a list of gas stations that offer "real" gas. And if u have a station nearby, by ALL means, use it!!!!! It costs a little more but well worth it for several reasons. Non ethanol gas is available in all grades, when u can find it.
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

In your case I'd use non-ethanol, since you are only running it a bit before storing. But, there's no practical source of non-ethanol around here and I run regular in my '72. It sits all winter, try to start a few times, with the same gas and so far so good. It sat from May '15 till July '16 due to work it needed. I was worried about the gas in the tank so long. I had put some Deltron in the tank and I changed the fuel filter once before and once after running it a bit. It had the mud in the filter but no issues. Make sure you run the treated fuel through the engine before letting sit.

I get caught up with something while letting a vehicle sit. The problem with ethanol is it attracts moisture. A full tank will condensate far less than one with low fuel. More air in tank the more condensation. On empty tank is worst. The concern is fuel going bad, so do you fill it up or leave less in case it needs t be drained? If you have a vehicle that runs but is not driveable do you let is sit dry or put fuel in to run it from time to time?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
Mike C

It's expensive, but for startups of things that I have been sitting awhile I use 50:1 pre-mix non-ethanol fuel you can get at home improvement stores. Tru-Fuel brand.

Obviously you can't fill the tank with this as it is $$$$$ by the QUART much less the gallon. But splash this in the carb to fire it up. Then use stabilizer in whatever you choose to run it on.

I have found that non-ethanol gas will last 10 years with stabilizer in it and ethanol fuels at least 2. (Stabil says 1 year but i've tested it LOL)
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
Grumpy old man

I wouldn't put any more than a gallon or two in the tank if your just going to start it a few times over the winter . storing it in your garage you shouldn't have any condensation problems and with the fuel system all new I'd be diligent on checking for leaks before adding more than that . don't forget fire safety before you start cranking her over .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
RodnRudy

Since this is an initial run in why not just run a fuel line from a 5 gal. can to the fuel pump. That way you don't have to worry about fuel "spoiling " in the tank over the winter. If you want to start it a few times over the winter just use the 5 gal. can. Oh and put a fuel stabilizer in the gas.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #10
100%Chevy

I just yesterday started re-building 2 Edelbrock carbs from my 82 and 84 trucks.
The reason?Alcohol in the gas ruined the needles and accelerator pump seals.And corroded the aluminum castings inside the carbs.
The kits have the new alcohol resistant seats and seals.
I have already replaced the rubber fuel line hoses with the new alcohol resistant hoses.
This has been a long time coming to repair all the damage caused by the alcohol and moisture in the gas.
I use only the good fuel from now on.It' cheaper to me than to constantly make repairs to the fuel systems.
Non-ethanol regular gas here is $2.69 a gallon.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #11
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodnRudy View Post
Since this is an initial run in why not just run a fuel line from a 5 gal. can to the fuel pump. That way you don't have to worry about fuel "spoiling " in the tank over the winter. If you want to start it a few times over the winter just use the 5 gal. can. Oh and put a fuel stabilizer in the gas.
OK, great suggestions guys, thanks. No one is answering the phone at the one ethanol free station near me, but I can put this start off till tomorrow.

So it's OK to unhook the line underneath the truck and divert to a fuel can? I would never have thought of that but I could do it.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
Alex V.

Especially if it's going to be mostly dormant for a while after this first fire-up, E-free will pay off. Also, not sure if it makes a dime's worth of difference but pure gas will probably afford a little better cylinder lubrication - prevailing thought seems to be that ethanol gas burns "drier".

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #13
RodnRudy

Sure you can run a rubber fuel line from the gas can to the inlet side of the pump. Essentially your can is the tank. I did this when I broke in my crate engine with the flat tappet cam.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #14
Jonny Hotnuts

Only reason to run higher octane fuel is if you are running enough boost or timing that you need a high octane to prevent detonation.

Zero reason to run it in an OEM old school 'everyday' engine without forced induction or high compression.

High octane doesnt mean its better, only different.

-however....
New engines are slightly different. THey use knock sensors and adjust timing to suit the fuel so higher octane fuel can make a difference in a new engine but again if its not a high performance engine that 'needs' higher octane the benefit can be slight.

~JH
~JH
Jonny Hotnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I don't know what stores you have in your area, but you can buy gallon cans of that real gasoline at parts stores, maybe even Walmart?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:11 PM   #16
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I don't know what stores you have in your area, but you can buy gallon cans of that real gasoline at parts stores, maybe even Walmart?
News to me, but something to think about.

I'm going up to the local station that sells it tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:41 PM   #17
truckster

Since you plan to store it, I recommend using Stabil in whatever has you decide to use.