The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

Anyone running Stainless Steel Lug Nuts? I'm tired of the chrome capped rusty ones.

It seems like any time I buy a set of chrome capped lug nuts they end up being rusty in no time. I'm thinking about purchasing a set of solid 304 stainless lug nuts. They are listed as 'trailer' lug nuts but I think they will work.

Is anyone else running solid stainless steel lug nuts? I'm thinking about purchasing these.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F111790732336
Old 11-04-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
Katrina/10

Re: Anyone running Stainless Steel Lug Nuts? I'm tired of the chrome capped rusty on

I've had the same rusty lug problem. I didn't know there were stainless nuts available, sounds like a great idea.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #3
sweetk30

Re: Anyone running Stainless Steel Lug Nuts? I'm tired of the chrome capped rusty on

McGard lug nuts and dont look back .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
HunterRotten

McGard is supposed to be really good. I just bought a box with 18 lugs and 5 locking ones with a tool for $30 on Amazon. All the other boxes were like $80+ so I jumped on it soon as I saw it. It was a kit for a Jeep Wrangler, has the correct threads and length for me.
HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:05 AM   #5
Hazieview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
I've had the same rusty lug problem. I didn't know there were stainless nuts available, sounds like a great idea.
I thought so too. I'm willing to pay top dollar for a good set of lug nuts that won't rust. The lug nuts on EBay look a little long but I think they will look ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
McGard lug nuts and dont look back .
I didn't see any stainless steel McGard lug nuts. Can you elaborate as to why You recommend the McGard lug nuts?

Last edited by Hazieview; 11-04-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Hazieview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #6
homemade87

I am not sure I am crazy about stainless lug nut . I dont know if they even exist . Stainless is softer than steel . You take a chance on galling the threads and getting a lug stuck . Even if you use anti seize I would think the threads would move around even if torqued correctly . Also if one of the crazy tire store people put 150lb air pressure at 200ft lb on it . Have fun getting that off on the side of the road .

Not trying to sound negative about the idea , just some in site from someone who works with stainless fasteners . I think a good quality plated steel lug would be the best bet .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #7
flashed

If I remember correctly Mc Gard lug nuts have a lifetime warranty .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
Hazieview

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
I am not sure I am crazy about stainless lug nut . I dont know if they even exist . Stainless is softer than steel . You take a chance on galling the threads and getting a lug stuck . Even if you use anti seize I would think the threads would move around even if torqued correctly . Also if one of the crazy tire store people put 150lb air pressure at 200ft lb on it . Have fun getting that off on the side of the road .

Not trying to sound negative about the idea , just some in site from someone who works with stainless fasteners . I think a good quality plated steel lug would be the best bet .
Very good points! I was also concerned about the integrity of the stainless steel.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
GRADYS Performance

McGard look nuts are the Only lug nut to consider. They have Lug nuts and Lug Bolts to fit almost everything. Lifetime warranty on finish as well. Have used them for 30 plus years without Any Problems.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #10
Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazieview View Post
It seems like any time I buy a set of chrome capped lug nuts they end up being rusty in no time. I'm thinking about purchasing a set of solid 304 stainless lug nuts. They are listed as 'trailer' lug nuts but I think they will work.
Galling will be a problem, and being softer you will replace lug nuts often as the threads wear.
Why not buy solid chromed nuts? They exist.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #11
cadillac_al

I have never seen a Mcgard lug nut rust. They have amazing chrome.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #12
sweetk30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazieview View Post
I thought so too. I'm willing to pay top dollar for a good set of lug nuts that won't rust. The lug nuts on EBay look a little long but I think they will look ok.

I didn't see any stainless steel McGard lug nuts. Can you elaborate as to why You recommend the McGard lug nuts?

like i and other said . . . . simple fact is McGard is the sh!t when its long term quality !

oh ya and i use to do tires and wheels for almost 15 years . . . seen a lot of CRAP and mostly the best was McGard
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:27 PM   #13
wilkin250r

Ditto on the stainless being softer, and galling.

I know quite a few people that tried stainless nuts and bolts for motorcycle engines, and they had to constantly re-torque bolts because they stretch more than typical stock bolts, and they have a problem with seizing as well. These were just engine bolts, I imagine it would be worse with lug nuts.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #14
Hazieview

Thanks for all the info guys! I will give McGard a shot. I think I will try out the black ones. I think they will look better on my truck than chrome. Thanks again!