The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2004, 02:26 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Exhaust Check Valve (used with somg).

I have been trying to get some things cleaned up and working better on the truck. I decided to remove the smog pump system until I get the new exhaust system on. I had some leaks I wanted to get rid of. Well I got the pump assembly off and the rubber hoses that bring air to the check valves. I started the truck and noticed that some exhaust was making it through the check valve. A very small amount, but you could hear the exhaust leak at idle. I know with the air pump running this probably makes no difference. Anyway if I rev'ed the engine it sounded like it was a good leak. Is this normal for these valves or should I buy new ones when I install the new exhaust system? I ended up pulling the injection tubes and plugging the holes for now.

thanks.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Im pretty sure thats normal. Its what mine did when I took the pump and hoses off. Ended up getting the tubes out and had them welded.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:15 PM   #3
plumbcut
california fill

Im pretty sure that they should NOT leak. I would bet money on it. That defeats the whole purpose of a check valve, if they are leaking... Replace em! Or.... just leave the whole system off and plug the manifold holes like you did...

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:56 PM   #4
Chemuk

The check valves are not supposed to leak. In fact my right check valve gave way and burnt up the Air valve, melted it like butter. Smoke was rolling out of the truck. If I had not shut it down when I did it probably would have started on fire. I went and bought a new check valve for $15.00 bucks and stuck it in, no exhaust leak and no more smoke. It was easier for me to just buy the new valve then try to weld the tube closed. The check valve stops the exhaust gasses from reaching the A.I.R pump so it doesn't melt.
Chemuk is offline   Reply With Quote