The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
GMC85HighSierra

Help On My 1987

Hi all, I've been working on my 1987 GMC Sierra, and I'm looking for thoughts on some things:

1. I am installing a Pioneer radio in my truck with Bluetooth and wireless calling. Where should I put the microphone for when I'm talking on the phone? My interior is a Sierra, so I don't have A-pillar trim or stuff like that.

2. How should I paint my truck? I want to paint it the stock colors, but I'm not sure how I want it painted. Not sure if I want to keep the dark blue down the center, or if I want to do the rockers down and the cab roof dark blue. I have the rear cab trim, so I'm kinda leaning towards the rockers and the cab (anyone have a pic/photoshop of that combo?). I also plan on getting it a tailgate band (if I can find one cheap enough). The truck is somewhat stock; trying to keep it looking mostly stock.

3. Will 31 BFGs fit under my truck? I'm running 235s right now, but l'm planning on getting new tires (trying to sell parts off another 87 GMC I parted out). My truck is stock height, and it's a 2WD 1/2 ton long box.

I included pics. I'm throwing bucket seats and a console in the truck. Bucket seats were a craigslist find; I drove an hour and a half to get them for $100. The console I restored to its former glory. Planning on doing my interior the dark gray color, but still have to get dash pad and door panels. Upgrading trim to Sierra Classic; have newish dash pad and gauge bezel in chrome, but not door panel trim yet. May add pillar trim and such, but I'll have to do some hunting to find it.

As I stated before, feel free to make suggestions. I'll need to know ASAP though, because I'm supposed to get it painted in a few weeks. Thanks
Attached Images

GMC85HighSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
blindbug

Re: Help On My 1987

1. You might be able to run the wire up the weather channel that is on the cab of your truck (possibly even tucked near the window seal, but that'd depend on the wire diameter), and then mount the microphone up high. Do you have a ceiling panel? If so, it'd be an easy run from the weather strip to wherever you needed to go.

2. IMHO, If you are going to go two-tone, you need the silverado trim plate along the bottom edge or else it looks a bit unfinished. I am partial to lighter tones on the side and darker tones elsewhere... but that's just my taste preference. If you go with that deep blue across the whole truck, there's plenty of examples out there that look killer, especially if you add the silverado trim to the side. All in all, it's what you like that's going to get the final cut!

3. I haven't a clue on that one.

Looks like a solid start on this one. Don't know if you've had it a while or if you bought it, but looks like someone has been taking decent care of it as a driver.
blindbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
Richard2112

I like the paint scheme as shown. Can't tell ya about the microphone placement.

I've run 31 BFG's on nearly every truck I have owned and never had a problem.

Where did ya have to go to get the buckets?
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
GMC85HighSierra

Blindbug, the wire is about 1/16" thick. I don't have a headliner; all I have are sun visors. I plan on either putting the chrome trim across the bottom or paint a pinstripe in its place (either black or silver/chrome). The truck was ditched at one time (can't tell from this pic); most bodywork is done.

Richard2112, I went to Warren, MI to go get them. Seats are mint; I just need to bend the brackets to match my floor plan. I have the suburban brackets already welded in (had another sets of seats exactly alike, but they needed reupholstering).

For the paint job, I was thinking do the white spots on the included pic the dark blue, and then the light blue stays light blue. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
Richard2112

Your paint scheme sounds like it will work nicely for that truck, which looks to be in good shape as is.

I was hoping you were in my neck of the woods so I could make you an offer on that bench seat you're taking out. I'm looking for a cloth seat that folds forward. Oh well. I'll keep looking.

Nice lookin' project.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
TKCR

Dang it, I could have set you up with the interior trim pieces, I had a set. I do still have the long metal one that goes up by the windshield.

BTW received the grille trim, thanks!!! They were Awesome.

If you don't have plans yet for the bench seat, I would like to get that for my seat restorations.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:54 PM   #7
bman1985

I have a pioneer unit with Bluetooth in my 84. I tucked the wire into the weather strip and clipped the mic to my visor. I don't have a headliner either. You can see a little bit of the wire but I don't mind it. It works pretty well there.
bman1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #8
GMC85HighSierra

I think I'd like to clip mine on the dash pad. I'm still trying to figure out where though. Any suggestions?

Found a tonneau cover on craigslist I'd like to get for my truck, but the guy hasn't gotten back with me. I also found a cheap 4x4 I'd like to get, but I have the same thing going with him also. I like it a lot, but money is tight. Trying to get a 1/2 ton 4x4 square body for these Michigan winters (my 87 GMC doesn't stand a chance being 2WD). I would like to drive my 2WD 87 in the good weather, and a 1/2 ton 4x4 in the crappy weather.

Tonneau: http://saginaw.craigslist.org/cto/d/...395878418.html

4x4: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/ct...406394510.html

If I had the money, I'd just go out and buy the things above. All I can do is some trading, and most people I ask to trade stuff with either don't want to trade or they want to give me the short end of the stick.

Found a tailgate band for my GMC, but the guy who has it wants my 400 HD trans and 208 t-case. He has other square body parts, but my truck is getting to the point where it doesn't really need anything anymore. He has a 89-91 core support I like, but I don't need one for my 87 (if I had another truck, I'd get it). I want the tailgate band, but I don't see enough stuff I want to equal the value of the trans and t-case.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #9
bman1985

Here is a picture of the wire in my 87. I really don't even notice it when I'm in the truck, although I'll admit its not the most elegant solution. I feel like on the dash it'll get a lot of background noise. I flip the visor down part of the way when I'm using the Bluetooth.
Attached Images

bman1985 is offline   Reply With Quote