The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
jsera

Leak in doors with new rubber

I have replaced the seals on the vent windows and the rubber strips and felt that run along the bottom of the window and noticed a gap after it was all put together as the vent window is sandwiched as follows: outer door/rubber bottom strip/vent window/felt strip/and inner door metal. Should I have cut the rubber strip and the felt strip which run along the bottom of the window so that they stop before the vent window?

As it is right now the rubber exterior strip doesn't allow the vent window rubber to seal on the metal of the door and water does get in.

Could anyone post pics of their trucks vent windows where it interfaces with these strips?
jsera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Leak in doors with new rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsera View Post
I have replaced the seals on the vent windows and the rubber strips and felt that run along the bottom of the window and noticed a gap after it was all put together as the vent window is sandwiched as follows: outer door/rubber bottom strip/vent window/felt strip/and inner door metal. Should I have cut the rubber strip and the felt strip which run along the bottom of the window so that they stop before the vent window?

As it is right now the rubber exterior strip doesn't allow the vent window rubber to seal on the metal of the door and water does get in.

Could anyone post pics of their trucks vent windows where it interfaces with these strips?

I always trim mine to fit. You will always have some leakage into the door and there are drain holes/slots in the bottom of the door to help alleviate the problem. Just make sure that the drain holes/slots are not plugged up with junk..... Some of the replacement window wipes are not as wide as the original and do not seal against the glass.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
jsera

Would it be a "bubba" move to seal gaps with black rtv?
Old 07-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsera View Post
Would it be a "bubba" move to seal gaps with black rtv?
You know the answer. Where did you get your seals?
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
jsera

the seals are from gmcpaul's
Old 07-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
Grumpy old man

Trim it to fit . But if you getting a leak inside the truck it's not coming from the door glass

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
jsera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Trim it to fit . But if you getting a leak inside the truck it's not coming from the door glass
I don't understand? Where would it be coming from then?
Old 07-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
Grumpy old man

The doors are allowed to Leak from the outside down into the door and out from the 2 drains in the bottom of the door ,these drains are located outside of the cab seal with the door closed so if you have a leak inside the cab you should start looking at the door seal or the lower windshield seal ,also check for rust inside the cowl and up under the dash inside .climb inside with a flashlight and have someone spray water on it until you locate the leak

Old 07-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
GMCPaul

Every time we've seen this the strap located under the vent window assembly that joins the inner and outer door skin together is broken and has allowed the outer door skin to spread apart from the inner door skin. Remove the vent window assembly and you'll see the metal strap underneath it and I'm 99% certain this strap is broken. A sign of this is the rubber is closer to the door glass at the rear of window opening and further away from door glass up by the vent window assembly. These straps are very thick and repeated opening and closing of the vent window wears at them and they eventually break allowing the inner and outer door skin gap to widen.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
Grumpy old man

^^ Which would allow water to enter the door not the interior of the truck . The door may just be misaligned providing a gap for the water to bypass the seal ?

Old 07-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #11
jsera

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
Every time we've seen this the strap located under the vent window assembly that joins the inner and outer door skin together is broken and has allowed the outer door skin to spread apart from the inner door skin. Remove the vent window assembly and you'll see the metal strap underneath it and I'm 99% certain this strap is broken. A sign of this is the rubber is closer to the door glass at the rear of window opening and further away from door glass up by the vent window assembly. These straps are very thick and repeated opening and closing of the vent window wears at them and they eventually break allowing the inner and outer door skin gap to widen.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
Thanks for chiming in Paul! The strap is just fine, I think the main issue for my truck would be that i should trim those lower seals/felts?
Old 12-22-2017, 08:15 PM   #12
70 C/K 20

Quote:
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
Sounds like what's going on with my door. Would I just be able to weld it back together?
70 C/K 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
Rufas

Quote:
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
My driver's side that this problem. The metal didn't fatigue, the spot welds just broke. I drilled out the spot welds and used pop rivets. Solved the problem.

350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI

Last edited by Rufas; 12-23-2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Added Photo
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #14
70 C/K 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufas View Post
My driver's side that this problem. The metal didn't fatigue, the spot welds just broke. I drilled out the spot welds and used rivets. Solved the problem.
Great idea thanks!
70 C/K 20 is offline   Reply With Quote