The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
bigcarguy
Finally a Bulldawg

3/4 ton spring question(s)

I know I only have a 1/2 ton, but the springs are sagging and I'm gonna be replacing them here in the next few weeks. I just wanted to know if 3/4 or even 1 ton springs (front and rear) would fit on my 81 C10 (2wd). Also, I read on here that a 3/4in spacer would give about 3 inches of lift for the front, where can I get a pair of 3/4in spacers? I assume it'd just take a 3in block in the back to level it out, right? Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna go ahead and get all the suspension stuff done at the same time. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:34 PM   #2
mhicks

Springs

My son had an 82 1/2 ton and he put 3/4 ton springs under it and had no problem. It raised it about 3 inches. On the back he put 3 inch blocks on his shackles. turned out pretty good. Somebody pulled out in front of him and he totaled it. It had the long wheel base and fleetside.
He now has a 1/2 ton '74 short stepside and he wanted to raise it also. He bought some 3/4 ton springs and put on it and it now rides rougher than heck. Alot worse than the '82. He put 2 inch blocks under the back of it too.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I used to have the MOOG heavy duty half ton springs on the front of my truck. Those raised it up quite a bit higher than the old worn out ones they replaced, and the ride was still pretty good. I bought them from O'Reilley Auto Parts.

Slonaker
Old 04-24-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
Prerunner1982

my truck has HD front coils and it sits level, no rake. as far as coils spacers go you could make them yourself, or check out www.fabtechmotorsports.com i tried looking at the site but my comp is a POS... lift coils and coils spacers are going to mess with your steering geometry and your tire wear, will make your tierods and ball joins wear faster. you can put a block on the back, but it will cause more tire hop and could possibly come out. you could also get new springs or do a shackle flip. Let me know if you want more info. btw you can also get fiberglass fenders and run 35"s with NO lift.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote