The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2004, 12:59 AM   #1
ezmaggie

What can blow a starter out???

I am getting a little frustrated and need some help A.S.A.P please! I still have not gotten to emissions yet! Here we go, I took it in the shorts for the engine my friend put in my 77', 350, 4WD truck. # 7 piston was or became cracked up between the compression rings! Replaced that, However right before that another fellow hooked up the radio and rebuilt an edelbrock 600 cfm with an electric choke. I had a holley with a manual choke (first guy replaced my Q-jet...since it was stolen...with the holley and put in a manual choke cable). The cable is still in my dash and I have not looked yet to see what Kevin has done with the other end of it! Series of events as follows.. Pick up truck with this great engine in it...drove 3 miles a day round trip..4 days a week to and from work for maybe 3 weeks. Made two trips (50 mi. each trip) to town, last time for emissions. Some girl stopped the testing ..said I had oil drips!! GREAT..come home . Next day or so got the edlebrock and radio put in the truck. Truck is not as good as it was. One day, can't remember now ,I went to go to work...New 125.00 gel batery dead!! Tried to jump...almost went. Called Kevin ...he took it home after getting started...found #7 piston...replaced it and now when he tries to start it the starter gets fried. Gone through 2 in 2 days!! Guy at autozone says electrical peak! What do you think??? Radio or electric choke hooked up wrong??? Last two things done to it. THX Maggie
Old 04-25-2004, 01:05 AM   #2
Prerunner1982

try disconnecting them and try again. could be a wire grounding out, maybe there is a freyed wire...i would try the radio and choke first.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:10 AM   #3
ezmaggie

You guys are great!!! I just posted a much shorter version on the Blazer board and came right back to some help... Thank you...I told him to rip the radio and speaker wires out. OK just disconnect and remove the radio...and then went over all that had changed and asked him to check choke. What could be hooked up wrong on choke?
Old 04-25-2004, 01:11 AM   #4
ezmaggie

ps...he has to put in the new starter (#2) yet.