The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2004, 03:19 AM   #1
canadianchevy72

Wiring harness

Ok I know there is the painless harness out there But I am quite strapped for cash right now and wondering if there is something else out there of equal quality for a cheaper price. Thanks.

Zuk
Old 04-25-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
71Rat
ran out of money

i just bought an ez wiring harness for $150.... was a lot cheaper then painless but this isnt a 67-72 only harness. so i have some work to do but the price was great for a 21 circuit 20 fuse harness. my truck also has some mods that i felt the painless wouldnt cover and i would have to hack up a new harness to make it work right for me. I am really pleased with this harness and it has a 2 year garentee on it and a lifetime warenty on the panel. any day of the week i will take a lower price if i can do some of the work myself. I got mine at carlisle show so i got a special prise but i have seen the same one advertised for $160.

Best of luck
Rat
Old 04-25-2004, 02:03 PM   #3
68c10owner

give this guy a email. wirewerks@earthlink.net. he sells these on ebay all the time. they start at about $70 for the 12 circuit. he gets his parts from the same supplier as painless. the only problem is the wires are only about 6 feet long and he can add length to them but it might get expencive. i gave him the length that i need but i haven`t heard from him yet.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
Faster_than_you

yeah its called go to home depot for the wiring then to napa for a hanes manual then wire your truck that way. I did that the second wiring job on my truck. my dad did the first, it started on fire on the way to school one day.
I think it was a grand total of like 15 bucks. the fuse block I just kept original.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:30 PM   #5
71Rat
ran out of money

Faster_than_you: seems like you have a little attitude about this. We are all just trying to help eachother out. When you get a kit/harness from another company it is less likly that you will have mistakes that will lead to fire.

Faster_than_you I dont mean to rip on you if i come across that way. Just that in my opinion canadianchevy72 had though of the home depot way out, and was looking for a cheaper harness then painless...... which is understandable because everyone likes to save money. So if i came across harshly to you (Faster_than_you) i am sorry

Rat
Old 04-25-2004, 04:38 PM   #6
Faster_than_you

no, I posted the thread laughing. I didnt mean to sound like I had an attitude, I was also trying to help out our fellow truck luvr. I didnt go to home depot I had to use stray wires that my uncle left laying around the farm, then bought a little spool of red and blue wiring from the neighbors at the garage sale. I lived in a itty bitty town, my neighbors were a mile down the road, so it was not like I would see them everyday and be able to ask them if I could get a little wire from them cause my truck dash went on fire going to school. I was just trying to tell 68 rat in a manner of seriousness and also joking the cheapest way of going about rewiring his truck.
Me, for the next rewiring I do on my truck I may go either way, I have about 6k saved for the truck finishing. but how knows. I may get bored and just decide on doing it the old fashion way again.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:40 PM   #7
Faster_than_you

oh yeah I am alot more experienced now with electrical now then back then. so shouldnt be a problem.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
71Rat
ran out of money

Faster_than_you : I am sorry I guess i read the post in a different manner then it was intended. i can understand why u said it about the fire..... we had a few cars go on fire and it isnt fun!!! and thats one of the main reasons i went with a cheap universal harness. I already went trough my first year electrical class for automotive. but i still went with a harness. not that i dont trust myself just i dont have a lot of extra time to build myself a new harness and to switch to the newer style fuses is a lot nicer!

Best of luck to all on there trucks, and sorry for any mistakes i made about peoples posts

Rat