The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
miller6t9

anybody ever been successful w/ repro windshield trim?

so has anyone ever successfully installed repro front windshield stainless/chrome/whatever trim/molding? asking for a friend...
miller6t9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
Jens Jimmy
Account Suspended

Re: anybody ever been successful w/ repro windshield trim?

I have used trim from the rubber mfg. company in Ohio. Im drawing a blank on their name, but it worked well with their windshield gaskets.
Green and white boxes, can't for the life of me remember the name.
Jens Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
miller6t9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Jimmy View Post
I have used trim from the rubber mfg. company in Ohio. Im drawing a blank on their name, but it worked well with their windshield gaskets.
Green and white boxes, can't for the life of me remember the name.
Soff-seal?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
leddzepp

No...although many have tried it seems to be an exercise in futility. Best bet is oem deep trim (67-70 style) with a Precision brand gasket.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
Elliot949

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
No...although many have tried it seems to be an exercise in futility. Best bet is oem deep trim (67-70 style) with a Precision brand gasket.
I agree 100% with this... That is what I am running on Papa J
Attached Images

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Jens Jimmy
Account Suspended

That's it, precision....this getting old stuff, nymph.
It's not perfect, but I have had luck with precision trim.
But Ledzep is correct, non better than OEM.
Jens Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
miller6t9

so, if I get Precision stainless and Precision gaskets, I may have a chance? Because I'm assuming finding OEM trim is gonna be difficult
Old 11-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #8
flashed

I have nice original trim on a 72 cab in my pasture but you would need to come remove it .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #9
Elliot949

Actually I am running the OEM Trim that I had the dings removed and polished in a precision Gasket...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
miller6t9

ok...just so I dont get any deeper into this.....will a 67-70 gasket and nos trim fit on a '72 windshield?
Old 12-27-2017, 10:42 PM   #11
rockyrivermark

Subscribed
I bought windshield trim from brother.
No way in $@LL that windshield was going in with the trim on.
Bums me out
Back glass was a breeze
Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:25 PM   #12
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller6t9 View Post
ok...just so I dont get any deeper into this.....will a 67-70 gasket and nos trim fit on a '72 windshield?
You need to make sure the gasket and trim are both 67-70 style. The windshields are all the same size 67-72, so gasket to windshield is no issue.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:32 AM   #13
Ironangel

The thing is, there is a short trim and a long or deep trim. There is also the corresponding deep and shallow trim gaskets. Neither will work in the wrong gasket, they must be mated to the correct gasket. You install the gasket to the glass and then the trim to the gasket. Use masking tape every 10" inches or so to hold it all together once you have installed the 1/4" nylon pulling rope. Get the tools, especially the hook tool it will make the job much easier and don't be afraid to squirt some windex around the perimeter to help the gasket slip in... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOU_0HpS7To
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #14
Rufas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
The thing is, there is a short trim and a long or deep trim. There is also the corresponding deep and shallow trim gaskets. Neither will work in the wrong gasket, they must be mated to the correct gasket. You install the gasket to the glass and then the trim to the gasket. Use masking tape every 10" inches or so to hold it all together once you have installed the 1/4" nylon pulling rope. Get the tools, especially the hook tool it will make the job much easier and don't be afraid to squirt some windex around the perimeter to help the gasket slip in... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOU_0HpS7To
How do you identify the short/deep trim and the deep/shallow trim gaskets?
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #15
Eddie H.

I've never met anyone yet who has had any success with reproduction trim, no matter who they bought it from, or which gasket they tried to use.

My son bought a set of repro trim from LMC, and just ended up throwing it away and using a plain gasket after a highly experienced glass installer finally gave up trying to get it to work.

I have a set of 1971 OEM trim that only has a couple of minor dings in it that I have been saving if and when I ever decide to use it.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #16
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Agree 100%

That's what I did even though I have a 70 ... I was told I think by WES that this was the best approach.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #17
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Here's my experience: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484773

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #18
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
This thread is why we started our youtube channel! This was the first video we ever produced because of the issues that people have with this install. You'll see my comment on page four.

As others have stated, OE trim is going to be you best bet. After market trim only has be slightly off in the bends for it not to fit right, and worse still, pop out.

Please watch our video as it shows the techniques needed to get this seal seated correctly. Seating the top first is going to render the best results...regardless of what the GM manual says.

-Derek

https://youtu.be/SOU_0HpS7To

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
flashed

So I have a question about original windshield and back glass trim . How do I keep from destroying good trim off my 72 parts truck cab ?
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:04 PM   #20
CC69Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller6t9 View Post
so, if I get Precision stainless and Precision gaskets, I may have a chance? Because I'm assuming finding OEM trim is gonna be difficult
No, the 71-72 trim that Precision offers is a very short version if the 'lip' the 67-70 trim has on it. I tried it with the Precision 71-72 gasket, not a chance.

I am using Trim Parts 67-70 trim with a Precision 67-70 gasket. The trick to this install is KY jelly believe it or not. There are three 'groves' in the gasket. One is for the pinch weld, obviously where the gasket wraps over the lip and actually holds it in the truck. The second grove is for the windshield glass itself. What I do is use KY jelly in the grove for the windshield. As I am putting it on the windshield I pinch the gasket open and use a Qtip to spread the KY in that grove. It's going to be slippery but you want the windshield to be able to kinda move around in the gasket as you rope in the windshield. I also put a generous amount of KY around the lip / pinch weld of the truck. (maybe not so much around the bottom edge of the pinch weld.. more on this in a sec) NOT the gasket itself, it will be a major pita to get your chrome in the grove.

With the KY in place, go ahead and work the gasket on to your windshield. Use that blue painters tape to temporarily hold the gasket on while you work the chrome in. Take your time, pull the gasket back and make absolutely sure that chrome lip has seated into the gasket as best you can.. then check it again. I cant tell you enough how critical it is at this stage to make 110% sure that chrome is locked in. Start with the top piece, then the sides. It helps on the sides to start it about 4" away from the corner and kinda push it toward the top until it stops. You'll feel it stop.

The key here, no KY in the trim grove. Only in the grove for the windshield, and around the pinch weld. KY ( to me ) is a bit safer to use than oils, sprays, dishwashing liquid etc. it's water based and will dry. Of course you can kinda wipe it down as you go.

Once the chrome is in, and you have your rope in the gasket You want your rope to be as deep into that gasket (pinch weld grove) as you can get it. Overlap the rope on the top part of the windshield. Have a buddy / wife help you sit it into the truck. Hook your top corners in first. The windshield and cab pillars are wider as they go down so kinda start about half way down and hook in the top corners of the gasket as you go up, the same on both sides. Push it up pretty good, you want that as far up as you can get it.

If you put KY on the bottom edge of the pinch weld -- you'll need someone to hold your windshield in at this point. If no KY, it will sit there on it's own, but the roping in part will be more difficult. Start in the center of the top edge, and just start working the gasket over the lip. Go slowly and make sure you get the gasket completely over the lip. The Precision gaskets have a 'secondary' lip that has to come over the pinch weld to allow the windshield to fully seat into place. Work toward each upper corner.. as you make that turn, it really helps to have someone put a little pressure on the glass as you go. Open hand.. not too hard.

Good luck man.. it aint easy. The biggest thing is just take your time. Making sure that chrome is in the grove and locked in my opinion is the hardest part. But, 67-70 trim is much, much easier to work with.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote