The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Darreola562

1971 C10 Temperature Cable

Hello,

I have ran into an issue with my recently purchased C10. I am currently going through the truck to ensure I make it a daily driver however have run into a couple issues that maybe one of you can help me out with. I'm in the process of replacing the instrument cluster and noticed that I am missing the temperature sensor and cable that goes to the gauge. Unfortunately, I can't find the part number or been able to find it locally (cable). Does anyone have a suggestion on how to aquire this cable?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Darreola562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:29 PM   #2
rockyrivermark

Re: 1971 C10 Temperature Cable

If it's a stock sensor and gauge I believe its a wire and not a mechanical cable
Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darreola562 View Post
Hello,

I have ran into an issue with my recently purchased C10. I am currently going through the truck to ensure I make it a daily driver however have run into a couple issues that maybe one of you can help me out with. I'm in the process of replacing the instrument cluster and noticed that I am missing the temperature sensor and cable that goes to the gauge. Unfortunately, I can't find the part number or been able to find it locally (cable). Does anyone have a suggestion on how to aquire this cable?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

What cluster does it have in it, gauges or warning lights? The temp sender wire would be a 20ga dark green wire. It should come out of the firewall connector and run along the valve cover by the intake or along the oil pan under the drivers side exhaust manifold depending on what engine and year truck you have.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:24 PM   #4
Darreola562

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
What cluster does it have in it, gauges or warning lights? The temp sender wire would be a 20ga dark green wire. It should come out of the firewall connector and run along the valve cover by the intake or along the oil pan under the drivers side exhaust manifold depending on what engine and year truck you have.

LockDoc
It has the gauges that includes the temperature speedometer battery voltage etc...the entire gauge is missing for the engine temperature along with the green cable and the sensor. I’m having a real time finding anyone that carry’s it.
Darreola562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:57 PM   #5
Curtb1971

Welcome to the forum! Hmm, what year and engine is your truck? Is there still a plastic circuit board on the back of your gauge cluster? If you can try to get a picture of the back of your gauge cluster and your engine compartment they can tell us a lot more of what you have going on. Curt
Curtb1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:43 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darreola562 View Post
It has the gauges that includes the temperature speedometer battery voltage etc...the entire gauge is missing for the engine temperature along with the green cable and the sensor. I’m having a real time finding anyone that carry’s it.

What engine do you have?

Rock Auto has the senders.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...+/+sensor,4748

You need the one with the single brass post on top.

I can see how someone might remove the green wire from the engine compartment, and I can see how someone might remove the gauge, but I doubt they would remove the green wire from under the dash because they would have to unwrap the wire loom to remove it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:02 AM   #7
dmjlambert

The wire with connectors:
https://www.lectriclimited.com/tempe...pair-kit-88624
The sensor:
It has been discussed before on other threads you can only use the stock 1/2" NPT threaded sender for the temp gauge if you have a stock gauge instrument cluster. There is no 3/8" NPT sender that will work. If you have a 3/8" NPT threaded hole in the engine head, you can get a 1/2" sender and have a machinist turn and thread it to 3/8". I had forum member A1971Blazer turn and thread mine. Other people had it done by brian mac. I used GM part number 12334869, AC Delco number G1852. This only applies if you are outfitting your truck with a stock gauge instrument cluster, if you've got something aftermarket then disregard.

Welcome to the forum. We love to see pictures uploaded to your posts. Show us what you've got.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:43 AM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

your looking for this wire harness w2ith this wire and this sending unit.Depending on what intake you have an what engine you have.

I like the 1967 water outlet for the 327 with come straight out and they make a hose for it but don't have the number right now but will post it to help you out.But i use this same set up for my 1972 350 and i can run this same sending unit on top of the driver side intake manifold and its a plug and play system.Here look

Now i show the water sending unit on the side of the head not a good place for that sending unit cus the wire fries an never seems to last.I like it on top of the intake manifold where the ware and wire connector can't burn up.if you run headers its never a good spot to run that sending unit next to them
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote