The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
streetstar

New truck - restore to factory correct - or mild custom?

Posted some initial pics of my new truck a few days ago

Its good fun --- the simple joy of vinyl seats means I can give my furry friends a ride in it with a pretty simple cleanup process after -- seats pretty broken down and the 80's era Grant wheel has got to go

Truck wasn't/ isn't perfect but it makes for a clean driver , however ---- now that i've had it a few days, I am already spending imaginary money on a different wheelset, slipping some oak in the bed in place of the worn out pine, lowering it with a 2.5/4" drop and in general fixing the discrepancies I see - that type of thing

-- SPID showing a factory big block and CST package but not anything else too out of the ordinary --- odd that it has a tach dash, its a 5000 rpm truck tach and not a Camaro tach either, but SPID doesn't mention it - PO states he didn't monkey with it and purchased it as an unrestored survivor a decade ago, then had it re-painted, ----- but the SPID also only mentions beltline moldings, and I have seen them list both moldings on other spid's
---- Are there sometimes omissions on stuff like that on these?

Ive got a significant box from the PO containing the original intake, q-jet, ac and PS brackets and pumps and a few other items

Not that the engine looks bad, but to my eyes it would look better with shorty valve covers and an oem style breather assembly than the pseudo hot rod Moroso stuff that leaks too much

A good friend who deals more in the muscle car side of the world looked at the truck, looked at the SPID, -- then advised me to "tread lightly" with the mods. Adding that I should repair the known issues that bug me, restore the correct engine pieces (as I had already planned) ,
but perhaps ease off on lowering it, -- he even suggested I source some steelies and repro wheel covers for it.

After trying to find some buckets to have rebuilt, I was seriously considering installing the vintage looking ProCar setup with a repro console

None of the things I am contemplating are irreversible, but my buddy advised that big block CST's are the "SS" of sorts of the truck world and as such shouldn't be messed with too much

Partially agree, but then again, -- its not a Jaguar E-Type, and its already had one re-spray

I'm guessing the collective on here would proceed kind of like I was already going to proceed, --- customize a little bit to put my mark on it, but don't do anything non-reversible, and just drive it

What say you guys' ?

Nonsense! I'm in my prime

Last edited by streetstar; 01-24-2018 at 05:53 PM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
streetstar

Re: New truck - restore to factory correct - or mild custom?

Shooting for a stance /wheel combo - along these lines . The ever popular 5 spoke and 20x10 and 8 combo

(these are other forum member's trucks )

Old 01-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
harpo231

Do what pleases you and drive drive drive
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #4
1SG.Rob

Number one, it's your truck and you should do what makes you happiest. That said, I would hold off on making any immediate decisions/changes and just get to know the truck. I got mine back in May and had some grand ideas in my head about customization etc. But the more time I spend in it, working on it and daily driving it to work, i really appreciate the classic look and ride. Now my plan is to bring it back to showroom quality stock, matching the SPID.

Last edited by 1SG.Rob; 01-24-2018 at 06:51 PM.
1SG.Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #5
Coley

Your buddy is only partially correct.
You can easily 'lightly' modify the truck with no ill effects on its value....but to great advantage to your tastes.

The biggest things I see on it are as follows:
-The a/c system....get that figured out an re-installed back on the truck...that will add value and comfort- good investment.
-The engine detailing...I would put original valve covers on it and simply paint the intake chevy orange but leave it on....better performance.
-I would find a nice black '68-72 Dual Snorkel GM air cleaner to replace the chrome one....
....but hey, all of that is just me....not you.

Just keep all the original parts for the truck and you will still be in good shape.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Orange67

That is one sweet ride, man. That said, these trucks will never be Camaro's or Corvette's. It's your truck, do what you like to it. I personally don't like every style or taste out there, but to each his own. I agree with Coley's assessment, but again, that's just me. Drive on sir!

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
harpo231

If they were all the same ,, well, that would be a drag ..... do your thing !

There are thousands and thousands of these trucks out there..
If everyone went all original fully loaded.. where's the appeal ?

Jack em up
Slam em down
just make sure they hang around
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
jocko

Factory correct, that is the only acceptable answer.

Ok JUST kidding. There are as many opinions as there are members here, it's your truck, do what you think you'd like the most - and if you think you may want to return to stock someday, don't do anything that is difficult to reverse. Dropping it is reversible, but just remember it's about the same amount of "fun" to lower it as it is to raise it if you go back to stock.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
demian5

1. Change that Grant wheel for something classier.
2. Fix that AC.
3. Enjoy the crap outta that sweet ride!
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SG.Rob View Post
That said, I would hold off on making any immediate decisions/changes and just get to know the truck. I got mine back in May and had some grand ideas in my head about customization etc. But the more time I spend in it, working on it and daily driving it to work, i really appreciate the classic look and ride. Now my plan is to bring it back to showroom quality stock, matching the SPID.
I think this for now will be my course of action ----

I like the thing as - is, but when I was cruising it over the weekend , --- one of the belts in the front tire separated or something, -- (the thing started to shake , rattle and roll between 30 and 40 mph like a dog shaking a new toy ) --- The PO and I spent about 100 miles test driving it together and talking shop about the truck's history , and I drove it another 100 miles before that and it didn't do it , so my thoughts were I lost a wheel weight or a belt separated

---- I like the OG Cragars , but 15x10's all around aren't my bag, --- so I thought to myself -
"Dang -- Is it time to do this already?" -- thinking to myself if I have to get new tires and rebuild the front end, I may as well go all the way

But I should recover a bit financially from the initial purchase price before spending another 3-4k on wheels, tires and lowering accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
You can easily 'lightly' modify the truck with no ill effects on its value....but to great advantage to your tastes.

-The a/c system....get that figured out an re-installed back on the truck...that will add value and comfort- good investment.
-The engine detailing...I would put original valve covers on it and simply paint the intake chevy orange but leave it on....better performance.
-I would find a nice black '68-72 Dual Snorkel GM air cleaner to replace the chrome one....
:
These were my thoughts as well - (except for the intake, I wanted to throw the stocker back on initially , but will think about it --) - truck is in a really mild state of tune, - I would almost think running the 1" spacer/carb adapter would negate most of the gains the aftermarket intake would afford, at least on the low end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange67 View Post
That is one sweet ride, man. That said, these trucks will never be Camaro's or Corvette's. !
Kind of funny, I passed up a pretty nice '72 Vette to buy this ---- These 'ol rigs will likely never rival a '63 -'67 in value, but likely compare pretty favorably to the '68-'72 generation Vettes in some cases, -- but I know what your sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
If they were all the same ,, well, that would be a drag ..... do your thing !
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Factory correct, that is the only acceptable answer.

Yes ! That's what Ron Swanson would say !

Old 01-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #11
68Gold/white

Oh, boy!!!
I like it!!!
Will post more when I get more time!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #12
HO455
Post Whore

Really nice truck you have bought. Congratulations are in order!
If you stick to bolt on modifications you can have your cake and eat it too. Lower it some, change up the wheels, replacement seats are all easy to change back if you want. Cutting of the frame, or swapping in a late model power system are all pretty permanent modifications. And I won't even go into Lambo doors.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:26 PM   #13
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
do what pleases you and drive drive drive
x2

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #14
Bigdav160

I can only say what I would do:

Quote:
1. Change that Grant wheel for something classier.
2. Fix that AC.
3. Enjoy the crap outta that sweet ride!
What he said.

I find the lowered truck thing over done. I've done it before; now I am over it.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #15
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post

Just keep all the original parts for the truck and you will still be in good shape.

All good
Coley
Agree. Wheels and tires are easy to swap. I like the factory stance, I wouldn't lower it, but that's just me.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #16
sick472

My opinion...If the VIN / SPID make it valuable in the concourse market (which these trucks do not excel at like Cudas, Camaros, GTOs, Mustangs, etc), valuable to the point that you could easily upgrade by selling the one you have and get a nicer non stock/less rare model...then please keep it stock or sell and get a better truck to modify. Like everyone has said...it's your truck and I would not hold it against you if you did exactly as you pleased, but IF the numbers mean dollars and the numbers don't matter to you, you could possibly gain from that.

Disclaimer - For some reason I can not see your photos and I know little about our truck's SPID /VIN values. All I know is that my GTO will not get modified beyond what can easily be swapped back, it's too "numbers matching" now and mods knock dollars off fast.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #17
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
Posted some initial pics of my new truck a few days ago

Its good fun --- the simple joy of vinyl seats means I can give my furry friends a ride in it with a pretty simple cleanup process after -- seats pretty broken down and the 80's era Grant wheel has got to go

Truck wasn't/ isn't perfect but it makes for a clean driver , however ---- now that i've had it a few days, I am already spending imaginary money on a different wheelset, slipping some oak in the bed in place of the worn out pine, lowering it with a 2.5/4" drop and in general fixing the discrepancies I see - that type of thing

-- SPID showing a factory big block and CST package but not anything else too out of the ordinary --- odd that it has a tach dash, its a 5000 rpm truck tach and not a Camaro tach either, but SPID doesn't mention it - PO states he didn't monkey with it and purchased it as an unrestored survivor a decade ago, then had it re-painted, ----- but the SPID also only mentions beltline moldings, and I have seen them list both moldings on other spid's
---- Are there sometimes omissions on stuff like that on these?

Ive got a significant box from the PO containing the original intake, q-jet, ac and PS brackets and pumps and a few other items

Not that the engine looks bad, but to my eyes it would look better with shorty valve covers and an oem style breather assembly than the pseudo hot rod Moroso stuff that leaks too much

A good friend who deals more in the muscle car side of the world looked at the truck, looked at the SPID, -- then advised me to "tread lightly" with the mods. Adding that I should repair the known issues that bug me, restore the correct engine pieces (as I had already planned) ,
but perhaps ease off on lowering it, -- he even suggested I source some steelies and repro wheel covers for it.

After trying to find some buckets to have rebuilt, I was seriously considering installing the vintage looking ProCar setup with a repro console

None of the things I am contemplating are irreversible, but my buddy advised that big block CST's are the "SS" of sorts of the truck world and as such shouldn't be messed with too much

Partially agree, but then again, -- its not a Jaguar E-Type, and its already had one re-spray

I'm guessing the collective on here would proceed kind of like I was already going to proceed, --- customize a little bit to put my mark on it, but don't do anything non-reversible, and just drive it

What say you guys' ?
GET THAT FUEL FILTER AND RUBBER HOSE OFF THE INTAKE. IT WILL BURN TO THE GROUND!

Seriously there are some horror stories about that out here.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:09 AM   #18
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I'm glad i read your post i like the 396 small factory chrome valve covers the shine on them is perfect.The air breather that goes under the air cleaner is needed.

I like anything under the hood to be factory.In less then 15 years these trucks will be worth a pretty penny and the more that are pretty much stock will be the ones that will hold there valve.

People now are looking for the 1950's car's that have all the Motor brackets for the AC alt Road draft tubes air cleaners.Even the oil bath Air cleaners and the.Toilet paper oil filter can's.

Them things are big money now even the factory stainless steel windshield wiper's that the blades went in to.

So more of these trucks get altered an the people that buy them want to put them back to factory condition..

Plus Some time down the line we need to stop this trend of turning long beds in to short's.

The market is flooded with them.The guys wanting 55K for one i rather buy a 1969 Camaro RS instead of a hacked truck
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #19
68Gold/white

I do not care for lowered pickups that go much more than an inch or two, especially chopping the frame, and ending up with the body sitting as close to the ground as most cars, just not MY deal.

5 spoke American Racing wheels would look great, and go with the year of the vehicle, either the polished ones or the ones with the gray or black centers that have the polished aluminum rims...

That cast iron intake in the tote, gives up nothing to the intake on the engine! The original quadrajet would work well, but later quadrajets are better, especially one with an electric choke.
Beware any carb needs to be tuned to it's specific engine/purpose. The E-carb on it now might run and drive OK, but I'd bet could be improved upon!!!
IF, IF you go the quadrajet route, you need to contact Cliffshighperformance.com for parts, advice, or possibly even a carb, only way to go!!!

One or two inch lowering blocks on the rear would level it out a bit. I would not want to do anything more to the suspension, again, just my thoughts....with my 68 was half as nice as your's!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Restore it as is. It is a mild custom, which is not far from original. Get whatever original parts it doesn't have. Use what you want and keep the rest on ice till the day it goes all original. The truck is cool as an era correct job. I'd put a Comfort Grip steering wheel in place of that later style. That's how I've always done my trucks. It's only parts (and parts are fun!). I keep alternative parts around to change things up from time to time.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #21
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Comfort grip wheel. Restore air con. Get some finned vintage valve covers. Nice dual snorkel air cleaner with black base and chrome lid. I get what you are saying about 10's all around, but personally I like the Cragars over the giant wheels. And if you do go giant on the wheels you really need to drop it down a bunch. Giant wheels without much drop really look "donkish" in my eyes. Really love the stock color combo.

This is a members truck that I think looks pretty cool. Lowered mild custom, basically a timeless looking ride.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2018, 05:43 PM   #22
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
GET THAT FUEL FILTER AND RUBBER HOSE OFF THE INTAKE. IT WILL BURN TO THE GROUND!

Seriously there are some horror stories about that out here.
Ouch -- I will do so ASAP and will be making it a priority ---

What do you suggest I use? --- I have seen this type of filter used on numerous trucks , but is it just a matter of replacing the hose with a longer one so I can re-position the filter somewhere a bit safer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Restore it as is. It is a mild custom, which is not far from original. Get whatever original parts it doesn't have. Use what you want and keep the rest on ice till the day it goes all original. The truck is cool as an era correct job. I'd put a Comfort Grip steering wheel in place of that later style. That's how I've always done my trucks. It's only parts (and parts are fun!). I keep alternative parts around to change things up from time to time.

Is that a Camaro wheel? -- I just googled "Comfort Grip wheel" and all the references came up for '69 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Comfort grip wheel. Restore air con. Get some finned vintage valve covers. Nice dual snorkel air cleaner with black base and chrome lid. I get what you are saying about 10's all around, but personally I like the Cragars over the giant wheels. And if you do go giant on the wheels you really need to drop it down a bunch. Giant wheels without much drop really look "donkish" in my eyes. Really love the stock color combo.

This is a members truck that I think looks pretty cool. Lowered mild custom, basically a timeless looking ride.

That truck with the factory full wheel covers, is striking !

If I can source some 15x8 Cragars for the front , --- I may go that route --- I am appreciating them more as an "era correct" style now . --- still up in the air on lowering it -- but that's ok, --- I have some time to think as I've taken on too many projects this winter and need to let my income catch up a little bit

I am still using Am. Racing Outlaw wheels on my '75 for the same reason - as they look like something that would have been used from the mid 70's up into the eighties. (Technically not my '75 anymore -- I donated it to my 15yo nephew and he, my brother and myself are restoring it for him for his big 16! - but not to worry, we are likely going to source him an Accord or Civic for a real daily driver - a 16 year old driving a big block pickup everyday these days makes me shudder )

Old 01-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Yes, the Sport Grip will come up as Camaro wheel. But they were an option found on various models and even other GM brands. There were also 4-spoke wheels of the same design with interchanging horn buttons. I have an Old 4-spoke on ice for my '72 K2500. They can be found used OEM or reproduced
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/s...SDznM&usqp=CAE

Era correct is cool. Even back in '89 when I bought my totally stock '71 Custom Camper/20 (Cheyenne trim) I wanted to do what would have been done when it was new. I put a white tonneau cover on to protect the wood floor with the camper removed and to match the 2-tone, headers & dual exhaust, and 8"/10" aluminum slots. I had an instant muscle truck.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #24
CST10

I love the look and stance of your truck. I’d leave that part alone if it were mine. Engine bay I’d fancy up just for show then drive it like I stole it.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote