The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
Elvis' Truck

Aftermarket distributor

I have read most of the MANY posts on this and thank you for your patience and advice.

70 K10/350/3ott/1406 Edelbrock - daily driver

My truck has a GM HEI distributor - came to me that way. Because it sits higher the cab rubs against cap. Obviously not a good thing.

My plan - put a point style distributor that sits lower and put a kit in (petronix type). Curing the clearance and keeping the electronic ignition.

My questions - this is my daily driver - I am not looking for lots of horse power, just drivability. I also don't want to have to order special parts when I have to do a tune-up.

Suggestion of what to buy? Thank you for reading the long post.
Elvis' Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Aftermarket distributor

Just find a low hei cap with the divorced coil , mid to late 80's Camaro/Impala if I remember right
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
Elvis' Truck

Factory V8 truck. I do believe the 4x4 engine mounts are a little higher, creating my problem.

Grumpy - will resort to if I have to. An option i had not thought of. Would rather install a kit and keep it clean and simple.

Just looking for the best kit for a DD.

Thank you
Elvis' Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
Keystone_Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRMW View Post
The clearance issues you are having likely are the result of someone changing the original 6 cylinder motor to a V-8 without changing the engine stands and other related parts which will move the engine forward a bit. A fairly common issue, the correct way to do the swap requires modifying the driveshafts and transmission linkage and transmission mount. Also the 4 wheel drive parts that require relocating.

CaptRMW, I believe you are mistaken. The swap from an I6 to a SBC in the rear mounted location is a perfectly acceptable way of replacing an engine. I just did it last month. And used an HEI distributor with plenty of room. It also required no modification of crossmembers, trans mounts or driveshaft. I did this because it is way less expensive and it works just fine. Every 4x4 truck with a V8 has this setup and it works just fine. Also Elvis has a K10. He cant move the engine forward if it's 4x4. It wont work.

OP, i used an HEI distributor from Speedway motors and I did not have any issues with clearance. Maybe it is smaller than an original GM dist. I don't know because I didn't have one to compare it to. That's just my experience.
Keystone_Hate is offline   Reply With Quote