The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2004, 01:06 PM   #1
72'BBGMCSGCC

Question 402BB head ?

Before I had my heads worked on I had told the machinist I didn't want to have to add lead to the gas anymore and he said if he puts stainless steel exhaust valves in the heads then I wouldn't have to. I had asked him about the bronze valve guide sleeves and he said the ss valves would do the same. Should I have the bronze valve guide sleeves put in? or will putting the stainless steel exhaust valves do the same?
72'BBGMCSGCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:17 PM   #2
68c10owner

first of all, stainless valves alone won`t let you stop adding lead. you need to install hardened exhaust seats to fix that. stainless valves would actually hurt it more than not running a leadd additive because the stainless valves are harder than the stock valves and they will pound the seat more. as far as the bronze guide liners, i use them on my heads for one reason, they are softer than the stock cast iron guides and are cheaper and easier to replace than the cast guides. plus most of the time the guides are worn and the bronze liner will take up the space and then you can hone them to the right clearance. be carefull what liners your shop uses. some shops use the ones that have a slit down the length of them. this could allow oil to drain down into the combustion chamber. the shop i use installs solid liners with no slit. i hope this has helped and if i missed anything i`m sure someone will chim in and give you more info. goodluck
Old 04-28-2004, 10:52 AM   #3
72'BBGMCSGCC

Smile

Thank you 68c10owner , Thank you for the info
72'BBGMCSGCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
68c10owner

no problem. glad to help