The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
Ironhorse

OT-'57 Chevy Wagon vrs. Bullet Holes

I have a real good friend of mine who has a '57 Chevy 2 Dr. (Not a NOMAD) station wagon. He was not able to get started on a re-store when he acquired it so he let it set at another friends house in the country (not the best place to store it in my opinion) and from the title you can guess. Several people at various times seemed to take delight in using it for target practice. Glass is all shot out and the body took several hits. Have not seen it recently so not sure of the number of "several hits". Some in the door skins, some in the rear quarters and some in the roof line area and tailgate. I am not a body man by no way but surely this poor wagon can be saved? Any one who does in-depth body repair/welding and patching care to give some advice or hints as to the proper way to find a true body repair shop that can tackle such a job and still make it feasible ($$$$) to re-store such a classic? Just a quick and general method of repair and what to check into would help.

It is beyond me how people can use a classic '57 Chevy or ANY vehicle for target practice.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Leave the bullet holes, replace the glass, slammed it and add some red steelies with wide whites.........Instant Rat Rod! (that is what I plan to do to my '56 wagon, minus the bullet holes)

or.....

Repairing the bullet holes shouldn't be all that difficult. Depending on how big they are, they could be hammered back out and welded closed or patched with other pieces of metal. Reproduction glass is available, but it's not cheap. The door glass is flat so replacements could be made at a glass shop for those. I believe the gate glass is also flat (or might be slightly curved?). The rear quarter curved glass is the most expensive (I was quoted $160 for a good used piece..... new ones are about $300 each.... ouch!). My driver's side quarter glass is cracked (looks like it may have been a victim of a rock or pellet gun).
Old 04-27-2004, 06:07 PM   #3
cdowns

bullet holes arent that difficult to repair the metal usually tears in 3-4 "fingers" and just a little hammer and dolly work can close them up ,a touch of mig welding and they're history
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:08 PM   #4
Ironhorse

Thanks for the info on the bullet holes. I will pass it along to my buddy. Any one have a recomendation on a decent mig welder for the ametuer body man? Price and useability?
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote