The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2018, 01:10 AM   #1
jarrodblake

Heavy Duty AIR bags for front C30 Tow Rig and rear Air Lift Loadlifter bags?

I am in the middle of Converting my 1970 C30 dovetail car hauler to disk brakes. I have the complete front suspension from a 75 C30. I am planning on installing Air Lift Loadlifter air bags in the rear as My truck keep bottoming out under heavy loads. The front end also bottoms out as well. So while I am upgrading the brakes and swapping out the front suspension, I thought I would see about converting it to air ride in the front. I have no plans on slamming it, I need a little extra lift in the front when I have a heavy load.

My thoughts are when I am loading up a vehicle I can raise the front end up a little in turn it will lower the dovetail. It will also keep the truck from bottoming out on the bump stops when It has a heavy load.

That said I don't know what size air bags I need. I know they make weld in kits for the c10 and c20 that come with air bags. but I don't know if they are strong enough for my application.

As for the rear I was planning on installing a loadlifter kit. I see there is a loadlifter 5000 and a 7500 however I don't know what size I need. I assume The loadlifter 5000 is 5000lbs of additional lifting capacity or is it only rated at 5000lbs?

I don't want to install lift spring in the front as I want to keep a low center of gravity unloaded. That and I would have to lift the rear as well to keep te dovetail from dragging.

Here is the truck loaded up. As you can see it squats the truck pretty good front and rear.

[IMG]IMAG1138 by jarrod vanwinkle, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here the truck unloaded.

jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Heavy Duty AIR bags for front C30 Tow Rig and rear Air Lift Loadlifter bags?

This is what comes up when you do a search for their biggest kit.
75,00 lbs on each side that should be more than enough.

Do you have any info on the swap as far as front end for the disc brakes>
I love to do this to my 67 ramp as well some day.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/produ...ifter-7500-xl/

Up To 7,500 lbs. Of Load-Leveling Greatness
With up to 7,500 lbs. of load-leveling capacity* and huge 7-inch double-bellows air springs, LoadLifter 7500 XL™ can level massive loads like they're nothing.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote