The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Locked1

A/C, old V belt to Serpentine Change Help

I have converted an 86 GMC 4x4 from a V belt with A/C on driver side to a serpentine with a/c on passenger side. I am planning to replace everything if I need to; all I have this the dryer and evaporator. Need direction! Year to buy upper, lower hoses best compressor what condensor.

Last edited by Locked1; 06-21-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Locked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Locked1

Re: A/C, old V belt to Serpentine Change Help

Can I just utilize parts from a 1990 K5 Blazer? Has serpentine and correct evaporator?
Locked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Are you going to use a mechanical fan? You need custom hoses made for any new compressor. I paid $100 for mine. Sorry, I can't post pictures from this computer. Follow my links to webshots. You'll find my serpentine belt install on my ZZ4. A new 636420
air condensor will be crossflow. It will work with R134. A stock R12 condensor has its limits. A Sayden compressor is the best. A R4 is stock and can work. I wish mined worked better. I'm installing a new R134 condensor to help out the R4.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
70zz4

doing a serp system on my zz4 need to drill bolt hole on pass head any advice on proper location & drilling of the new hole ? thanks
70zz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:41 PM   #5
85/Silverado

I think the V belt doesn't squeak as much. I had to switch to the serp. and it squeals WAY to much.
85/Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #6
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85/Silverado View Post
I think the V belt doesn't squeak as much. I had to switch to the serp. and it squeals WAY to much.
If it makes noise, something isn't right. I just converted mine this past week and it's quite as a mouse, no pun intended.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:16 PM   #7
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70zz4 View Post
doing a serp system on my zz4 need to drill bolt hole on pass head any advice on proper location & drilling of the new hole ? thanks
Yeah, I recently converted to serp and discovered I was missing the upper holes on my OEM heads. I contemplated drilling/tapping the hole but there didn't appear to be enough "meat" ( lacking a boss ) where it needed to go. I ended up pulling the heads off and converting to vortecs. Obviously, they have the needed bolt pattern for the serp system. If yours has enough meat and a flat surface, just bolt the bracket on and use it as a guide. Be very conservative on the dept ( 1/2 maybe ) and tap with a 3/8-16 thread.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:26 PM   #8
SunSoaked

Regarding the compressor: I pulled my setup off a 95 ish truck from the scrap yard. It had a Sanden compressor on it. The compressor does not appear to bolt directly to the bracket as the compressor is axial and the bracket is radial mounting pattern. It had two flat steel brackets that bridged the gap on the upper mounts. I don't know where they came from but they are stamped and appear OEM. They would be easy enough to make or maybe someone can chime in? I'll try to get pics tomorrow.