The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2018, 10:42 PM   #1
69Tom

gas tank fuel line question

OK, so I've been trying to sort out this 70 C/10 I picked up. After removing the seat, I noticed this gem of a set up. No grommet on the floor. After receiving the grommet I ordered, I notice why.

The duct tape is on the connection is obviously not factory. That should be a hard line going to the sending unit, correct? And the correct sending unit should receive a 5/16" line for a I-6 250, correct?

If I were a betting man, I'm thinking the wrong sending unit was put in the tank and that's a 3/8" line there. Can any of you tell by the photos?

If it is the incorrect 3/8" sending unit, is it advised that I swap in a correct for a 250 5/16" unit and hard line, or doesn't it matter much? (I'm definitely getting hard line to the sending unit--just depends on what size).

Thanks for the advice.
Attached Images

69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:14 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: gas tank fuel line question

I would just replace the 3/8'' line so it goes through the floor correctly. I would then flare the end of the tube with a fitting on it then connect a 5/16 barb/3/8'' tubing nut fitting on the end. Cost of those parts would be about 5-10 dollars instead of a complete sending unit assy. but that's just me. I probably have all the parts in the garage
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #3
69Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
I would just replace the 3/8'' line so it goes through the floor correctly. I would then flare the end of the tube with a fitting on it then connect a 5/16 barb/3/8'' tubing nut fitting on the end. Cost of those parts would be about 5-10 dollars instead of a complete sending unit assy. but that's just me. I probably have all the parts in the garage
So do you think that's actually a 5/16" sending unit?

I guess the main issue perhaps with going your rout is, I have no fuel line bending tools. I'd have to buy a pre-bent line.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:40 PM   #4
dmjlambert

Auto parts store has tubing bender and flare tools that you can borrow for free, they just ask for a small deposit. It is surprisingly easy and comes out beautiful even for a beginner like me trying it. They also have straight steel brake line tubes with flares and connectors on both ends. Get a long one, like 6 feet. Bend to the shape you want, cut off the excess. If you mess it up you'll have enough tubing to try again, or if the first one works great you can use the excess to make a doohickey. Take the short piece of tubing with you to the store so you can see about matching the tubing and connector size.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:42 PM   #5
69Tom

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I appreciate the help guys.