The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
Cbo68

Tailgate latch play

I purchased a new tailgate latches, handles and rods. I have everything installed correctly but have a lot of play in the rods from the latches to the handle. When it finally grabs and starts to pull the latch springs it only moves it’s an 1/8 maybe a 1/4 before the handle stops. Only way I see to fix this is shim the latches out, shorten the rods, or somehow shorten the slot in the new latches to take up the play. That or these latches that came with the kit are a pos. Any insight on this would be much appreciated. Pictures are the latches. I don’t have the stock hardware or I would reuse.

Thanks
Attached Images

Cbo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
darrellyates

Re: Tailgate latch play

You can bend the rods to take slack out of them. Measure the slack, and then the overall length of the rod. Simply bend in the middle until the rods are the correct length, measured straight. There isn't enough load on them to straighten them back out.... Just a thought.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:39 PM   #3
Cbo68

Re: Tailgate latch play

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
You can bend the rods to take slack out of them. Measure the slack, and then the overall length of the rod. Simply bend in the middle until the rods are the correct length, measured straight. There isn't enough load on them to straighten them back out.... Just a thought.
I ended up making little rectangular shim pieces out of some sheet metal stock and installing them on the latch overlapping the slot about a 1/4”, this shortened the slot in the latch. Worked out great.
Cbo68 is offline   Reply With Quote