The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2018, 12:10 AM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

A Local Truck

There is an early '60s GMC Short Stepper just around the block from me. I've had an eye on it for years. I have enough vehicles, 3 of which are pretty new and under warranty, but I'd really like to take that bad boy home for a daily driver. I'd sell my 2016 Kia Forte and drive that truck instead! It never goes anywhere, and recently got moved into the driveway from the street. I'm pretty sure that that is from non-current tags. The popo here is pretty lenient, but I've seen a couple of cases recently where vehicles have been towed and impounded for expired tags.

So, share your stories about how you crow-barred the owner's fingers off their vehicle, especially when they haven't moved it in many years. I will say that I've been living here for 15 years, and I've not seen this truck move in that entire time. Maybe drive up with "Orange Acres" and make an offer?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:52 AM   #2
weim55

Re: A Local Truck

I've had an interest in a good original '48 - '53 AD truck for decades but I've never really come across a solid truck that I desire. My son who is a lineman for the power company in Denver knows this. He was doing some service work in a neighborhood in north Denver and spied a '50 3600 sitting on the side of a house in plain sight that looked like it had been there for some time. He was working in the owner's backyard and they struck up a conversation about the truck and other things. He mentioned it to me a couple of weeks later and of course I had to follow up on it. The two of us went back and knocked on the door to ask if he would let us take a look at the truck and if he might be interested in selling. Unbelievably he said yes! Told us the truck had been sitting in that exact same spot since 1982, he was getting older, health failing, and came to the conclusion he would never get around to getting it back on the road. Two hours later the exchange was made and I had the truck loaded on my trailer. as the old saying goes, you don't get if you don't ask........

Steve weim55 Colorado
Attached Images

weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
Redneck Rydes

Wow what a find,there are a lot of old truck here in S.C. The last time I asked about a truck in a yard,the guy was holding a gun in his hand,pointed down. And said, "Do you see a fu&$ ing for sale sign on it" Time to move on,lol. I have bought trucks before, years ago,by knocking on the door,never a problem,times have changed.Very nice truck,hope you can get it running and enjoy it.
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
notsolo

Beautiful truck, Great score.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
flashed

I just bought a 1970 Shortbed Stepper from the original owner that I have been after for 25 years . It had sat in the same spot all those years that trees and bushes had over taken it and the bed was half full of dirt from all the rotted leaves over the years . The cab is pretty nice other than 1 cab corner needing work. Its a 6 cylinder ,3 on the tree with AM radio . I have already bought a 4 bbl intake ,carb ,power steering set up and power disc brake parts as well as lowering components . The old farmer just would not turn it loose til now . He comes to visit often and I have only had it a few weeks . I know of many more that are not yet for sale but I keep an eye on them too.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
weim55

What's amazing is the condition for sitting outside it's entire life. It's had one repaint, sometime in the 60s or 70s, and that paint has worn like iron. Only a couple spots have hit primer. An amazingly solid original truck, not a single dent in it anywhere ?! EXACTLY The truck I have been waiting for. I can't wait to get her going! It will remain mostly stock and original with only the upgrades to make it modern safe and reliable to drive. We'll revisit the previous owner and take him out for a Sunday breakfast and drive in it when she's good to go.

This one is a keeper, I plan on being the caretaker for a good long time. Here's a pic after a quick Ajax wash the day after purchase .........

Steve weim55 Colorado
Attached Images

weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
I've had an interest in a good original '48 - '53 AD truck for decades but I've never really come across a solid truck that I desire. My son who is a lineman for the power company in Denver knows this. He was doing some service work in a neighborhood in north Denver and spied a '50 3600 sitting on the side of a house in plain sight that looked like it had been there for some time. He was working in the owner's backyard and they struck up a conversation about the truck and other things. He mentioned it to me a couple of weeks later and of course I had to follow up on it. The two of us went back and knocked on the door to ask if he would let us take a look at the truck and if he might be interested in selling. Unbelievably he said yes! Told us the truck had been sitting in that exact same spot since 1982, he was getting older, health failing, and came to the conclusion he would never get around to getting it back on the road. Two hours later the exchange was made and I had the truck loaded on my trailer. as the old saying goes, you don't get if you don't ask........

Steve weim55 Colorado
That's more like what I really want. There's a guy a few blocks from me with a running '48 Chevy 3100. Too cool for words. It has Arizona plates and looks like a reservation truck. Killer patina, too. Though if he ever decided to part with it, I would paint it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
'69C-10

A '67 C10 showed up at a car restoration shop less than 1/2 mile from my house. Eventually the truck had the shops logo on the door but it never moved out of the parking lot. I drive by this shop 6-8 times a day and there continually sat waiting for some attention. Wife and I were t-boned in our beater truck and it was totaled, and the other drivers insurance put cash in our hands. That afternoon I stopped in the shop and asked about the truck. The number he threw out was $300 more than the insurance pay out. Needless to say I brought it home the next day.

'69C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote