The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
andrewpclayton

classic car as daily driver insurance

I really want to sell my daily and put the money into the GMC and use it as my daily driver. I havent found anyone that will insure just a 69 without having a daily driver. Any Ideas? so frustrating
andrewpclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
demian5

Re: classic car as daily driver insurance

AAA insures my truck, not under a collector policy either.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
andrewpclayton

Is that your only vehicle?
andrewpclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
Myoldtruck

I have state farm, my truck is my daily driver.
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Stewsclues

I have geico full coverage in my 72 C10 daily. Costs about the same as any other vehicle. Was involved in an at fault accident (my fault) and no problems. They covered the $8000 ish damage to my vehicle. Normal shops would not touch the truck and Geico told me to go to any shop I choose and they would cover it. No three quotes... my choice. Just my experience in Florida with them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stewsclues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:38 AM   #6
arks

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpclayton View Post
I really want to sell my daily and put the money into the GMC and use it as my daily driver. I havent found anyone that will insure just a 69 without having a daily driver. Any Ideas? so frustrating
Ask your agent for an 'agreed value' policy. You will probably need to get the truck professionally appraised for that type of insurance.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
sick472

I have 4 classics insured with American Family. The one in storage and the one in progress are very cheap as they do not see the road. The two that get driven regularly are insured to the hilt and costs about the same as any newer car of similar value. I did have to have an appraisal on the more expensive car, but my 85 Chevy truck is of much lesser value and runs about 25$ a month for full coverage. I think the higher valued car ($60 K) runs about 50$ month and it didn't make any since to lower coverage in the winter as the cost difference was minimal from full coverage to storage coverage. Kinda like they averaged the cost out over the year - which is nice, now when a nice day comes up in December, I can drive it without worry.

I know State Farm covers classics in a similar fashion. The policies are really not "Special", they just have to have some evidence of value so that you don't get paid bluebook for a totaled car, but your premiums reflect that.

EDIT: My cars do NOT have historic/classic tags, I drive them too much for that and I refuse to keep a log, I know I wouldn't keep them current.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20

Last edited by sick472; 04-06-2018 at 10:08 AM.
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I understand your question. I use Haggerty and they also require me to have one normally registered and insured vehicle in order to insure a second vehicle as classic/historic. It's common sense. Classic/historic tags and insurance are intended for use on older vehicles not run on a daily normal basis. That is why you don't pay as much for either, because the exposure/risk is much less. You are allowed to drive whatever you want as a daily driver and if you choose to drive a classic truck as your only vehicle you get regular tags and insurance because you insure for the use.

The big problem I have run into using regular insurance for regular tags for regular use with a classic vehicle is the insurance S.O.B.s won't give you anything but liability. They create a huge gap in coverage for those who chose to run older vehicles on a regular basis. No theft, no collision, as if they are all junk not worth fixing and if it gets stolen, oh well.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #9
cebra

I have Progressive, full coverage up to any value I want. The monthly premium is driven by the value I declare. No hassle or issues.
cebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
I have Progressive, full coverage up to any value I want. The monthly premium is driven by the value I declare. No hassle or issues.
is it declared as a daily driver or classic weekend thing? interesting, Progressive seems to have a good reputation. I had Hagerty for a 66 that was so nice I didn't want to drive it, but it was limited mileage. State Farm completely screwed me once, will never go back to them, and am currently with USAA, they are so-so. They, and it seems few, want you to actually drive your old truck. It's made me want to strike a balance between not sinking too much $ into a truck and treat it as expendable. Not a happy thought. In reality, what ends up happening is we almost all buy a dd and then keep the old truck for fun - driving it as much as we can. My truck is safer parked at work than it is at home. Ha.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote