The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
Crabass

Best way to convert lug pattern

Hi guys,need some guidance as my searches are turning up zip. I have an '87 R10 fleetside shortbed that I want to start cleaning up, wheels and tires being one of the higher priorities. I'd really like to use a set of third gen Corvette 15x8 slotted aluminum wheels that I have, but that requires converting from 5 on 5 to 5 on 4-3/4 lug pattern. I'm wondering if there has been figured out an efficient "parts swap" (rotors, axles/drums) method of accomplishing this on these trucks, rather than resorting to adapters. Thanks.
Crabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Best way to convert lug pattern

The easiest way is to use an adapter. When done right, they are safe. They may also compensate for the wheel offset differences also.

The only other way I know is toe have the axles redrilled and I thing you can swap out the rotors for one with the correct bolt pattern, otherwise they need to be redrilled also.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
Crabass

Well, I had this brain sneeze last night, too late to go out to take some measurements, but did that today and have decided that it just isn't feasible. After checking backspacing it turns out that even using the thinnest adapters available the track width would increase by two inches, way too much for my tastes. Redrilling to change the lug pattern won't work because the center hole in the Vette wheel is too small. Chalk up another win for GM. Dang it. I really think they would have looked good on the truck. Thanks, Bill, for the insights.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
SCOTI

You can take a 5x5 rotor & re-drill to the cars 5x4.75 pattern. For the hub snout, machine material off of it to the car wheels dimensions (can't remember what it was off the top of my head). Rear is as simple as re-drilling the bolt pattern again & machining the flanges or ordering in new axles from Moser or another aftermarket source.

I did this for my 67 back in the early 90's.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
Crabass

Thanks SCOTI, sounds like you're a machinist or at least have one in the family. Not so for me, matter of fact no appropriate machining facilities for a long way from the isolated area I live. Doubt I could survive that kind of price tag anyway. I did look at the Moser website and got scared away pretty quick. They would probably have to build something from scratch to fit the lug pattern and the center hole diameter needed, then I'd still have to figure out what drum to use. Then on to the front.......
I was hoping some of those clever guys with access to resources might have already figured out an off-the-shelf package that would do the job. Seen that kind of thing done a number of times before, thought I might get lucky. Maybe someone will jump in yet.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
SCOTI

There is a way to do it w/off the shelf parts but you'd spend more time & same cash outlay as the machined rotors. The rear drums get redrilled just like the rotors/axles would.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote