The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
Zach Jaynes

*New to the boards- seeking some direction*

Hello guys and gals, I just joined the boards and this is my first post. After wanting to own a 67-72 for as long as I can remember, I ran across one this week (wasn't even looking really), and now I am the proud owner of a '69 C10. It's a project for sure. It is a complete running and driving pickup, but needs a ton of work. I have not personally restored a vehicle of any kind before, but have basic mechanical knowledge and ability. Here is my plan for the truck, and please chime in if you have any advice, major do's and dont's, etc... I don't want to do a complete frame off resto, but close to it if that makes sense. I would ideally like to tackle the progress in stages, so that the truck remains semi-complete/functional most of the time throughout the process. It doesn't have to become an award winning show truck, but I do want a good, solid, nice looking truck that can be a part time driver. I plan to do most everything myself with the exception of body work. I don't have the time, patience, and most importantly skill for that. Several of the panels are going to need replacing all together I'm afraid, including roof, right fender, right bedside,etc.... Some of the others might be worth saving depending on what the body man says. I would like to maybe start with suspension stuff (planning to do a 4/6 or 5/7 drop, which I understand will also require a disk brake conversion for the front, and I plan to replace all suspension bushings, wear items,etc... while I'm at it. Figured I'd remove the bed for easier access, and maybe try to sand blast the rear part of the chassis and suspension components while I'm at it, and give them a fresh coat of matte black paint. Then I'd like to possibly get my engine compartment and other mechanical systems in order, before moving on to body work, interior, and ultimately paint. Again, just looking for some general direction here. I like to have a general plan when I start something, although I'm sure that is subject to change along the way. Just want to eliminate spending unnecessary time and money and avoid "double work" as much as possible. I tried to attach a current photo of the truck, and a general idea of what I would like the finished product to look like, but didn't have any luck. Any and all advice/info would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to this project with my two sons.
Zach Jaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
Zach Jaynes

Re: *New to the boards- seeking some direction*

Here's the "before" photo

Attached Images

Old 04-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Great looking crew you have there....... And a nice project for sure.

I agree with the keep it movable under it's own power while you are working on it approach. It makes things a lot easier and keeps the motivation going.

Before you get to far into it get the prices on the rust repair, because it will end up being twice as much work as you think it will after you get all of the areas checked out closer. Be sure and check the firewall around the heater box, cab to frame supports underneath, kick panels inside where the fresh air vents are, core support and inner fender panel under the battery, etc, etc..

Oh, and welcome to the board. Great bunch of people here.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #4
Zach Jaynes

Thanks for the reply LockDoc! I will definitely make it a point to inspect those areas more closely. I also want to add that I plan to install a/c with the under dash vents (this wasn't a factory a/c cab). I'm afraid that in itself is going to be quite a project.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:32 AM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I do have some suggestions.If you have a lot of cancer in this truck an you weigh how much it will cost to fix this truck cab.I say be on the out look for a doner truck in the same year or body type.I've seen guys find cab's for 500 to 1500 and yes you say 1500 But what body shops what per hour to parts to fix.If you find a cab or a truck that had AC then your really in good shape.I keep saying it .The Cab is the main part of the truck no where else do you spend the most money on.

Most experts say if they could go back to when they stated there build they find a donor truck.Nothing beats spare Parts.Plus Factory parts are better then aftermarket parts
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:49 AM   #6
panhead59

we really need some more pics especially of the areas that locdoc mentioned. Those are the most rust prone areas. x2 on the donor cab if you need much/any floor replacement/cab corners/etc. A donor cab is cheaper in the long run rather than a bunch of labor for rust removal. If your cab is in good shape you r miles ahead!||!!||!!| I agree on keepng it running and usable while fixing up. It is a very expensive and time comsuming process to bring a 50 year old truck "all the way back" . Time and money, time and money.
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:14 AM   #7
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Panhead59 Hit it out of the park.Well said well done.

Been in the junking business for over 25 years seem more projects go on the back of my trailer or wrecker then most junk cars.

I tell guys that a running car or truck is incentive to keep working on it.I have a friend 15 year ago buy a 1966 long bed 1/2 ton truck big window It had the V6 motor with a 4 speed in it.Truck was straight.No cancer.The guy bought it for a 400.00 running kinda.The kid wanted the motor swapped so bad.Could not wait for some one to help him.

I drove by his house when he got it drove by 3 weeks later it was up for sale in peaces.

I stopped buy to see what went wrong.I talked to his bother and he said while he was trying to lift the motor out the peace of crap engine hoist gave out and sent the engine and trans down on to the core support grill and then the bumper bending every thing.The kid blow up took a sledge hammer to the hole truck but the driver side do to it was too close to his dads truck.

So when i saw it i saw it from the driver side passenger side looked like some one got really pissed off the hood was FLAT and sitting in the bed..

I bought it for 200.00 and donated it to one of the collage body shop class.

Kid bought a 1968 long bed chevy truck with a 396 with a 4 speed in it it had AC fully loaded.

When i saw it I stopped and got a chance to talk to the kid.He went on and on about putting this putting that in this truck.I asked him what is the one thing you hate about the truck .

He said that 4 speed.I told him i would help him remove the engine and the trans.He asked why would i do that.I told him i was the guy that bought your last truck from your bother and i like to see this one not get destroyed.

I showed him how to take the hood off right then the front clip keeping it all together.Even showed him to put all the bolts back where they came out so they be easier to find.

We had his motor out that day on a rolling cart he gave me the 4 speed with the trans cross member witch i junked.

He must of been one lucky kid the next week His dad got a th400 with a auto steering column and trans cross member.

The cross member that is held in by ribits where drilled buy his uncial and installed the new trans member.This truck was back together in less then 2 week's.

His uncial worked for a motor shop I thought we where going to put the 396 back in No His uncial built a 454 for him brand new bought a new drive shaft.

It was in in 19 days.His uncial told me sense i stopped buy to help him and get him as far as i did he gave me the 396 engine witch still ran strong.

So you need to find some guys where you live that are on this site that can help you with your build.Trust me you will learn tricks that take years to learn and lasting friendships
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #8
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
So you need to find some guys where you live that are on this site that can help you with your build.Trust me you will learn tricks that take years to learn and lasting friendships
This is some great advice. Zach, that's a good old truck to start with.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote