The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
acl

Door won't open

What went wrong? Drivers door all the sudden will not open from inside. Pull the handle up and it just "locks" up. Will open fine from outside. Disassembled door panel and all seems to look ok but honesty would not know what okay looks like. The rod is attached, and pulls something forward but will not unlatch door. Sprayed all moving parts down with no help. Thanks in advance.
acl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
darrellyates

Re: Door won't open

Quote:
Originally Posted by acl View Post
What went wrong? Drivers door all the sudden will not open from inside. Pull the handle up and it just "locks" up. Will open fine from outside. Disassembled door panel and all seems to look ok but honesty would not know what okay looks like. The rod is attached, and pulls something forward but will not unlatch door. Sprayed all moving parts down with no help. Thanks in advance.
I had one that wouldn't open when I put it back together. I don't know if your problem is the same, however....

Try taking the key part of the lock out and see if that frees it up. Mine was jamming up the "fingers" of the unlock mechanism... That is, the part that moves with the key was too tight against the actual lock mechanism. I re-bent the "key" or piece that moves the lock up and down, making it in effect shorter, and my problem went away.

You might be able to adjust the lock plate in or out and fix the problem as well, but shortening the rod that locks/unlocks the door fixed mine anyway.

Good luck!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote