The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2002, 02:21 PM   #1
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Power Steering Problem

Greetings from the very damp north west of England! I need some help and advice.

My truck has had power steering fitted at some time in its life. Whoever fitted it obviously couldn't get hold of the proper pump mounting brackets and fabricated (badly!) their own. This is not unusual in the UK as the right parts can be difficult and expensive to source, we don't have scrapyards with loads of old Chevys sitting in them! The engine is a 1969 350ci with the pump located low down on the drivers side beneath the alternator. Pictures can be taken if necesary.
This is now causing me some problems as the belts are slightly out of alignment and are wearing. I also need a new pipe as the one on the pressure side is cracking up (the rubber) and I don't know what vehicle the power steering would have come off.

Questions:

Is the pump in the standard location for this engine/year

Are all the pipe fittings the same (flexible part of pipe is approx 18" in length) across different applications. Is it just length that is different?

Does anyone out there have a secondhand set of power steering pump brackets for sale? Are these universal or are there differences between years/applications?

Help!!!

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:30 PM   #2
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

you have correct set up, the rear most bracket wil reach back to motor mounts on stock setup 67-72 trucks

good luck
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:57 PM   #3
DaveofTona

Welcome to the board Phil! Sorry to hear about the weather back home - partly why I moved to Mexico a few years back... also a good place for scrapyards with loads of old Chevys sitting in them!

There seem to be two versions of the pump mounting hardware. The first has a pump mounting bracket whick mounts to the block with two/three front-facing bolts and one side bolt (attached at the engine front mounting bracket). The pump is attached to the bracket with a lower through bolt and a rear stud. The second has the lower through bolt attached to a simpler mounting bracket, again fixed to the block by three front-facing bolts. The stud is now fixed to a curved brace which is mounted on a stud screwed into the forward exhaust manifold flange. I got this from drawings in the 67-72 Chev/GMC Truck factory assembly instruction manual - good book if your truck's been messed about with!

Can't help you with more detail... my 250 has the pump above the alternator - different setup. I'm sure the other guys can give you more info - they really know their trucks!
DaveofTona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:02 PM   #4
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

the flange on the exhaust manifold was used only in 65-68 for the alternator mounting lower bracket only, 69-up used different manifold and different alternator brackets altogether than in 65-68, the p/s stil mountsa the same

good luck
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 02:45 PM   #5
Blue68

I would imagine you can take the pressure hose to any facility that makes hoses. I've done this to make a '98 pump with a '68 box. They should be able to replace the hose and reuse the connections. Then you won't have to worry about that messy metric/SAE business. Anywhere that caters to farm equipment or industrial trucks should be able to help.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 02:55 PM   #6
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

Welcome,

Lemme se if I can dig up a braket setup. Can you get hoses made over there with US fractional threads? If not, maybe I get get you just the ends, or reuse the ones you have.

Scrub
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote