The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2004, 12:41 PM   #1
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Just bought a new welder!!!

I got a Lincoln Pro-MIG 175 off ebay for $400. I haven't seen them anywhere for less that $550. I am so geeked. I've been kind of at a stand still with no welder, so this should get things moving again.
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 12:46 PM   #2
70ChevyLongbed
Howzit?!?

Sounds like a good score!

70 Longbed, 307, Edelbrock Carb 1404, Edelbrock Intake 2101, Dual Roller Timing chain and gears, 214/214 cam, Comp Roller Rockers, dual Flowmasters.
1999 Chevy Tahoe
2004 Mini Cooper S
71 BMW 2002 - Sold
70ChevyLongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 05:06 PM   #3
RANDY COX

WELDER

Sounds KEWL I need to swap mine over to mig kit right now it's gasless which does decent but would be waay better. now I'm working on my 48 chevy fleetline need to do a little welding on it.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:52 AM   #4
MACKL
Almost done!

I've been wanting a new welder, but I think my wife would kill me. Sounds like you got a good deal.
MACKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:10 AM   #5
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I haven't told my wife about it yet. She will kill me. It's coming to my office so she won't see it when it arrives. Maybe I'll just keep it there for a while and use it, then just bring it home like it's nothing new. I am going to need to get a gas tank for it too. I should be able to rent one, you think. Or should I buy one to have as my own? It should be here this week. I am so geeked. I have a couple fenders to practice on too. Now I can finally start making progress on this thing.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:12 PM   #6
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

Quote:
I am going to need to get a gas tank for it too. I should be able to rent one, you think. Or should I buy one to have as my own?
Buying one outright is much more economical in the long run. Typically, home welders use their welding equipment so seldom that it takes a long time to empty a bottle, and you pay a demurrage charge every month on rented bottles. The bottles last just about forever...and some stores will let you trade in bottles if you buy one that is too small for your usage. Be sure to ask before you buy.

A couple of other things...if you keep your (owned outright) bottle past the date of the last hydro-test, you may have to pay the cost of the test if the welding supply notices (typically, they don't). It's not expensive ($12.50, the last I heard, but that was a while back). AND, most importantly, before you buy the bottle...ask how much a refill is for the various sizes of bottles. You may find, as I did, that it is quite a bit more expensive to fill a small bottle than it is for a larger one, in terms of $$ per cu. ft. of gas. Let that help determine which bottle to buy.

Lastly, should you decide to buy outright, BE SURE TO HANG ON TO THE RECEIPT FOR THE BOTTLE. That is your only proof that you are the legitimate owner. Bottles are stolen or misappropriated nearly every day of the week, so be sure to protect your investment.
Stepsides 4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
lock
Insert funny comment.

What do the smaller bottles typically cost? Im about ready to buy one myself and have no clue what to expect.

-My Build Thread...

-68 C10, LT1 - Undergoing Frame off resto
-86 IROC-Z T72 turbo 355, M6
-70 Camaro

http://www.iroc-ss.com
lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:32 PM   #8
busterwivell

I got a bottle with the one I bought a few months ago. It's about 4 feet tall(?). I think it was about 75.00, but I didn't want a rent payment every month.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:42 AM   #9
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

I'm pretty sure that cylinder prices will vary by location. Call up your local weld shop, tell them you just bought a MIG welder and you want prices on different sizes of cylinders of steel mix (25% carbon dioxide - 75% argon). Then ask them how much it costs for a refill for those cylinder sizes (actually, they exchange cylinders with you and send them off to be filled offsite). You'll find that there is a point where you'll be better off spending the money for the bigger bottle and recoup your money when it comes time for a refill, not to mention that you won't have to be running down to the welding supply every other week if you were to buy the smaller bottle.

Believe me, bottles are as good as gold. They are a valuable commodity, so don't look at it as money lost. You'll only need to pay for them once, and the prices of bottles goes nowhere but up. Many places will let you trade them in, up or down, especially if you're a regular customer. It's a solid investment. They don't wear out, although the continual pressurizing/depressurizing cycle eventually takes its toll, but it probably won't happen in your lifetime.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:16 AM   #10
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Congrat's on the new welder I just bought a miller matic 135 not too long ago and am able to get so much done... I also bought the 4 foot bottle for about 70 buck's and made sure to keep the recipt...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 08:58 AM   #11
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

congrats on the new welder! i just got a new mig after tax time, & looking at the invoice a size S argon/co 2 cyl was $215. crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:50 AM   #12
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a size S cylinder is about 120 cu. ft. I bought a 330 cu. ft. Argon cylinder a few years back for somewhere around $300 - $325.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:43 PM   #13
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I got a delivery message from FedEx, it will be here tomorrow. I can't wait. I'll call the welding shop tomorrow at lunch and see about bottle prices. I hope to be welding by the weekend. I guess I could practice with the flux core wire it comes with too. Might as well use it up.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:28 PM   #14
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

The flux core is good to practice with, but it sputters (arc fluctuates) more than the MIG process. Also, the flux floats on top of the weld puddle, so it's kind of hard for a newbie to get a handle on what's going on underneath...but by all means, have at it! There is no substitute for "hood time" (time spent welding).

Remember to push (forehand) with MIG and drag (backhand) with flux core, although there are situations where you might want to reverse the above. Also, use flux core on thicker sections because it has better penetration. MIG is better at the thin stuff...use .023" wire for sheetmetal to practice with (it's more forgiving). Maybe you have an old fender or something to play with...turn the welder 'way down low and go from there.

One last thing...get a feel for grinding your weld beads. You'll find that the weld bead is a lot harder than the metal being welded, so practice your technique and adjust your welder until you get a good, flat weld where not a lot of grinding is needed. Alternatively, there is a wire called EZ Grind, but I've never used it. Most importantly, have fun and enjoy your purchase!!!

Please post what you find out about the bottles!

Last edited by Stepsides 4Ever; 05-05-2004 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:35 PM   #15
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Got my welder, went to the gas place and this is what I found out. I got a 40CF bottle for $85, that is bought outright. The bottle came full. Refills are $20, and if I want to go bigger, I can turn in my bottle and just pay the difference in price from my bottle to the bigger one. Guy said the 40CF bottle would give about 3.5hrs of trigger time. I will see how long it lasts and go from there. The guy was very helpful and didn't try to pressure me into buying a bigger bottle or anything. The difference in refilling the larger bottles was only about $4-6 as you went up. I got my bottle from AGA in Madison Hieghts Michigan. Time to go welding.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:28 AM   #16
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

Now you're talking! Most excellent!

Now you need to get one of those auto-darkening helmets...
Old 05-06-2004, 06:41 AM   #17
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

That will be next. I'm using my neighbors helmet right now. It came with a hand held shield, but it's hard to hold with one and and weld with the other. I've seen the auto helmets for as little as $50 in like Harbor Frieght. They have retail store nearby, I might have to make a trip and get one.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:37 AM   #18
Blue Beard

You can hide the welder in the shop, she won't notice for some time.

I hid a birthday present there and still hasn't been seen..
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:38 AM   #19
Woody

I too have been bit by the welder bug. I got a Hobard 135 back at Christmas. Waited until March to buy a tank, Got a tank and realized I needed a cart. Man they wanted $100 for a cart so I made one out of a scrap equipment stand and 2 drawer from a workbench. Then mounted the 135 on top., and the tank behind. Sorry no pics. My tank cost me $205 full, bought out right.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:18 AM   #20
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

Quote:
That will be next. I'm using my neighbors helmet right now. It came with a hand held shield, but it's hard to hold with one and and weld with the other. I've seen the auto helmets for as little as $50 in like Harbor Frieght. They have retail store nearby, I might have to make a trip and get one.
Hard to hold and weld? It's darn near impossible!!! You need two hands for welding, plain and simple.

I bought a Huntsman auto-darkening helmet some years back and I really like it...paid nearly $300 for it. The only negative is that, if you get in a position where the light sensor can't detect the arc your helmet will flash clear.

We recently bought one of the Harbor Freight auto-darkening helmets at work and it seems OK...a good value for the money...the only thing I notice is that it doesn't seem to be as fast at auto-darkening as the Huntsman, but maybe that's just my imagination. I've worked with guys that weld for a living and some will not use an auto-darkening helmet because they feel that the UV effects are cumulative, and even that 1/250,000 of a second of exposure, over time, will cause your eyes to go bad, but most lenses that I've seen block the UV whether they are on or off. I dunno...

But that is the hardest part about welding, especially as you get older...you have a hard time seeing the crack (slight pun intended). That's all the more reason for vee-ing out your work...